Maybe I've Been Doing It Wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

sorelewzer

I did some work on a house today that is probably 2 yrs old. Granted I havent been in the business very long, (4 yrs) I saw something I'm not sure I've seen before. I opened the panel and it was a 200 main lug panel. NO Disconnect. I felt sure there had to be a disc so I went to the meter base and a disconnect was mounted right beside it. I've always mounted outside disconnects when the panel was more than 15' from the meter, but when I do that, I also mount a main breaker panel inside. I looked at the neighbors house, it was the same way. Ive obviously been spending more money than I need to as these homes obviously passed inspection. BUT, IF this is code, I think its a bad practice. I mean, if something happened to where the homeowner felt the need to kill all the power in the house he/she would probably go straight to the panel, not knowing that the disconnect was at the meter base. Am I missing something? Thx

paul

Re: Maybe I've Been Doing It Wrong

Well there is a saying: 'If you wire a house to the absolute code minimum...You've just done a @#$%$ job!'

However, I don't see anything wrong with either installation. I have a split bus in my house, ie, no main disconnect. If there is something wrong, you just turn off all the breakers.

And yes, someday I will change out my old Zinsco panel! :D

luke warmwater

Re: Maybe I've Been Doing It Wrong

If the situation arises that you need a disconnect next to the meter and a sub-panel inside, it may be less expensive to install a main breaker panel. I know that we get 200amp 42space CH main breaker loadcenters cheaper than a 200amp main lug panel. Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.