MBJ connection location question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bstivason

Occupation
Electrician/Construction Manager
hello,

first time poster here. Always browsed around here and i have a question.

i currently have a new 1000A 3PH 120/208 service and it is designed as the following

1) 1000A Fusible Disconnect
2) 1000A Bussed Gutter
3) 9x meter enclosures
4) 9x 100a fusible disconnects

This is my first build in this particular situation, i have always worked around with CT meters with services this size.

When regarding my MBJ, it should connect to my grounded conductor at my 1000A disconnect, however, the feedthrough meter enclosures have the grounded conductor lugs bolted directly to the enclosure, which in theory would allow current to travel through the meter enclosure, gutter enclosure, and interconnecting conduits between. Is this correct? I feel like the only way to break that bond at the meter enclosure would be to use PVC from meter enclosure to bussed gutter.
Am i missing something here, or is this normal? Maybe i am over-thinking it Meter enclosures provided by local power company

Also, in regards to bonding locations, technically are unmetered bussed gutters considered accessible? I had always thought that all bonding needed to remain accessible, similar to how bonding bushings are not allowing in the meter enclosure, because it is technically locked out by the power company

Any thoughts, insight, wealth of knowledge would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Look at 250.142(B) Exception 2 and see if you install might qualify.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Look at 250.142(B) Exception 2 and see if you install might qualify.
I agree this will likely work for the OP as as all the equipment is likely grouped. This used to be a very common install back before meter banks became the norm. But now that we have have meter cans readily available with removable MBJs I wonder why we should even have this Exception still in the code.

bstivason

Occupation
Electrician/Construction Manager
Thanks, i think i feel better about it now, it least code wise, theory, not so much but my strengths are in installation not as much theory

Again, thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.