MC cable derating

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Is there any code that prohibits multiple MC cables from being run through a bored hole and then sealed with a fire caulk material?

I know there are limitations and derating for NM cables but couldn't find anything pertaining to MC cables if they were installed the same way.

Thanks

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
You can have up to 20 CCC of #12 MC without an overall outer jacket bundled with adjustment. I believe there can't be more than three CCC per cable. If you need code articles, look under "MC", then look under "Ampacity" and that will take you back to 310....
I don't have my 2017 handy so the article numbers might be different.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There is no such limitation for MC or AC cable going through a fire-stopped, bored hole. This is the applicable section:
310.15(B)(4) Adjustment factors shall not apply to Type AC cable or to Type MC cable under the following conditions:
a. The cables do not have an overall outer jacket.
b. Each cable has not more than three current-carrying conductors.
c. The conductors are 12 AWG copper.
d. Not more than 20 current-carrying conductors are installed without maintaining spacing, are stacked, or are supported on “bridle rings.”
Exception to (4): If cables meeting the requirements in 310.15(B)(3)(4)a through c with more than 20 current-carrying
conductors are installed longer than 600 mm (24 in.) without maintaining spacing, are stacked, or are supported on bridle rings, a
60 percent adjustment factor shall be applied.

Status
Not open for further replies.