MC cable in PVC conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin C

Hi guys,

I failed a inspection because I sleeved some MC in a pvc conduit going to a island bar. The inspector said I can't put cables (MC, NM, etc) with its own jacket in pvc. He said it's in the code. Can someone point me out what code section is this in? We are under NEC2011, and also mass electric code.

jumper

Hi guys,

I failed a inspection because I sleeved some MC in a pvc conduit going to a island bar. The inspector said I can't put cables (MC, NM, etc) with its own jacket in pvc. He said it's in the code. Can someone point me out what code section is this in? We are under NEC2011, and also mass electric code.

Unless there is a MA amendment, inspector is wrong. This not a underground install, right? That makes a difference.

330.10 Uses Permitted.
(A) General Uses. Type MC cable shall be permitted as
follows:
(1) For services, feeders, and branch circuits.
(7) In any raceway.

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
I only have the 2005 at home so forgive me if this is off base. As jumper points out its considered a wet location if it is in a slab in contact with the earth. This does not preclude running MC but you need to take a look at section 330.10(11). There may also be local amendments as jumper also pointed out.

tkb

ground level slab, but the concrete is 18". The PVC does not touch the soil.

MC in PVC in a slab on grade is a violation.

100 Definitions
Location, Wet. Installations underground or in concrete slabs or masonry in direct contact with the earth; in locations subject to saturation with water or other liquids, such as vehicle washing areas; and in unprotected locations exposed to weather.

NEC Handbook Comentary
The inside of a raceway in a wet location and a raceway installed underground are considered wet locations. Therefore, any conductors contained therein would be required to be suitable for wet locations.
A general requirement pertaining to wet locations is found in 300.6(D), which also identifies numerous examples of wet locations. The requirements for luminaires installed in wet locations are found in 410.10(A). See also patient care area in 517.2 for a definition of wet procedure locations in a patient care area. Suitable enclosures for wet locations can be found in Table 110.28.

330.10 Uses Permitted
(11) In wet locations where any of the following conditions are met:
a. The metallic covering is impervious to moisture.
b. A moisture-impervious jacket is provided under the metal covering.
c. The insulated conductors under the metallic covering are listed for use in wet locations, and a corrosionresistant jacket is provided over the metallic sheath.

tkb

It may not be a violation. Section 330.10(11) that you quoted states when it is allowed.

The description in the code is not the standard MC cable that is commonly used.
They describe a special MC that is either PVC coated, impervious jacket or with conductors listed for wet locations.

I seriously doubt that the OP is using one of these.

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
The description in the code is not the standard MC cable that is commonly used.
They describe a special MC that is either PVC coated, impervious jacket or with conductors listed for wet locations.

I seriously doubt that the OP is using one of these.

I agree if the OP used run of the mill MC he has a problem and like you I would probably assume that is what was used. Unfortunately the OP hasn't been back to clarify.

Status
Not open for further replies.