MC cable "redhead-less"

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

Just wondering how many of you don't install redheads in MC cable?

I have stopped using them. I haven't had any problems (re:shorts), but then again, I am meticulous when I stip the cable and I don't overtighten the connector. I use the Arlington "saddlegrip" connectors.

Personally, I don't see the point to using them. But I can see why those who run large crews or companies who may have employees using less than desirable installation methods would want them installed.

jimwalker

Re: MC cable "redhead-less"

I just feel safer using them.If it prevents one short it was worth that extra second.Also think what could happen if this circuit was from a sub panel and the neutral shorted to ground.

peter d

Originally posted by jimwalker:
Also think what could happen if this circuit was from a sub panel and the neutral shorted to ground.
Jim, that could happen for a lot of other reasons too. I don't see the issue.

benaround

peter d,

I would say in our shop it,s 50/50 as far as using redheads.I used them up until this year,and then, only with the push in and insulated type connector.Like "Iwire" always says ,it hard to change from something that you think is the right way and all your life you have been doing it a certian way,Hey, things change,stay up with the times or you get left behind. I also agree that some people should use them on every thing they touch.

frank

allenwayne

I haven't used them since the insulated fittings came out. I don't feel it all necessary any more.

So why is there a bag supplied with every roll ??? I started in this trade all to long ago when we called it bx,but there was no grounding conductor just the armored cable as a ground.
When I moved here to fla. in 83 I found out what nm was (NYC at that time didn`t allow it to be used ).I thought at that time and still do.
What kind of garbage is this :D

celtic

Also think what could happen if this circuit was from a sub panel and the neutral shorted to ground.
What does that have to do with a red-head? MC has an internal ground wire in it, the jacket is merely protecting the conductors.(330.108 ~ 2002)

Personally, we put a redhead on type AC, BX, MC, HCF, etc cable.

paul

I quit using them when I use the roto-splitter. If I don't have one and need to use my dykes to cut the jacket, then I'll use them.

celtic

I never cut it with dykes...wire strippers, yes.
I also have a tool from Klien that is a BX cutter, similar to dykes BUT the blades to not butt they cross(like a scissor or wire strippers) and it also had a feature to help "reshape" the cable.

Today, all roto-split.

Jhr

IMO a roll of mc comes with a bag of red-devils, use them, and if I don't have one theres bound to be one in the service van, lock box, another electricians side pouch, it only takes a few minutes to do this but it can take longer to correct a short in the mc, why take a chance, its not cost effective going back and reworking the mc at the connector because I didn't use a red-devil and then BOOM! :) .

[ July 29, 2005, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: Jhr ]

allenwayne

When I was up north and used bx and when I was doing commercial here in fla. I got some strange looks when On an mc job I broke out my hack saw.I was taught to cut bx with a hacksaw and find it nore confortable and faster than using a roto split ;)
I did it that way so long I got used to it,I`ve watched guys use tin snips ,dikes,and the mentioned bx cuttter.Leaves a jagged edge and then rhey don`t use red heads either :confused:

jimwalker

"What does that have to do with a red-head? MC has an internal ground wire in it, the jacket is merely protecting the conductors.(330.108 ~ 2002)"

My point is if the ground jacket bites into the neutral i now have just put a jumper between neutral and ground at that subpanel.And unless its an afci or gfci you will never know it.

I always used the anti-shorts in the past. But I have skipped a few just because. I never had any problems with it either way.
I too use my hack saw to strip MC and other amored cables. Way quicker, and easier IMO.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

My point is if the ground jacket bites into the neutral i now have just put a jumper between neutral and ground at that subpanel.And unless its an afci or gfci you will never know it.
This would be the same if there were a Equipment Ground to Grounded Conductor fault in any metalic cable or raceway method.

This is the reason many specs will call for testing between the EGC and Neutrals downstream of the Main(s)

Roger

redfish

Originally posted by allenwayne:
I was taught to cut bx with a hacksaw and find it nore confortable and faster than using a roto split
I'm thinking my rotosplit comes out of my pouch faster than you can pick up tour hacksaw. ;)

Jhr

I'm thinking my rotosplit comes out of my pouch faster than you can pick up tour hacksaw.
That's my point the aluminum mc jacket is so easy to work with, I'm with you its just seems faster to use a pair of dykes or roto-split than a hacksaw. And if you are on a ladder having to climb down just to cut the mc seems slow to me, whip out the roto split or dykes and you are done, and don't forget the red-devil ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.