MC CABLE TO LIGHT FIXTURE

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
To me a fixture whip only runs to a convenient place for a j-bpx or to the next fixture in a string.
Running all the way to a switch seems more like a wiring method. Is MC ok for the location and length in you case?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

TWGJ82

Mc is allowed in this case. And it is more of a wiring method. I looked up 410.117 and it says about tap conductors to a light or box 6' or less. I can see that as if I was branching to muilti Lights off one box but see nothing wrong with coming out of a switch to the first light that could be 50' away and daisy chaining lights together.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
A tap conductor is one whose ampacity is too low for the upstream protective device. As long as the conductors in the MC are protected against overload by the branch breaker there is no problem. But an undersized (by OCPD) conductor which is large enough for its specific connected load may be allowed under tap or fixture wiring rules.
That is the situation that requires some thought.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Is there a rule on how far from a switch box to a light fixture the whip can be?

General rule of thumb would be 1000'. Secured and supported as per 330.30 and as per locally adopted building code/voltage drop rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.