MC CABLE

Status
Not open for further replies.
does the code prohibit to bundle up various mc cables together my inspector said induction creates heat that could damage de wires

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Re: MC CABLE

310.15(B)(2) Adjustment Factors

(a) More Than Three Current-Carrying Conductors in a Raceway or Cable. Where the number of current-carrying conductors in a raceway or cable exceeds three, or where single conductors or multiconductor cables are stacked or bundled longer than 600 mm (24 in.) without maintaining spacing and are not installed in raceways, the allowable ampacity of each conductor shall be reduced as shown in Table 310.15(B)(2)(a). Each current-carrying conductor of a paralleled set of conductors shall be counted as a current-carrying conductor.

jwelectric

310.15 (B) (2)
Exception No. 5: Adjustment factors shall not apply to Type AC cable or to Type MC cable without an overall outer jacket under the following conditions:
(1) Each cable has not more than three current-carrying conductors.
(2) The conductors are 12 AWG copper.
(3) Not more than 20 current-carrying conductors are bundled, stacked, or supported on ?bridle rings.?
A 60 percent adjustment factor shall be applied where the current-carrying conductors in these cables that are stacked or bundled longer than 600 mm (24 in.) without maintaining spacing exceeds 20.

Always be sure to read the exceptions to a rule
:)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

JW is correct, the general rule of 310.15(B)(2) doesn't apply to bundled AC and MC cables, exception #5 does. If these bundles had #12 conductors and are protected at 15 amps you could have 100 cables bundled together.

ryan_618

The exception that most people don't consider is this one, which often times nullifies the whole thing:

310.15 Ampacities for Conductors Rated 0?2000 Volts.
(A) General.
(2) Selection of Ampacity. Where more than one calculated or tabulated ampacity could apply for a given circuit length, the lowest value shall be used.
Exception: Where two different ampacities apply to adjacent portions of a circuit, the higher ampacity shall be permitted to be used beyond the point of transition, a distance equal to 3.0 m (10 ft) or 10 percent of the circuit length figured at the higher ampacity, whichever is less.

physis

I'm just working on my first cup of coffee, maybe that's why, and I haven't looked in the book to get a context yet,

but I have no idea what that piece of code is talking about! :D :D

ryan_618

Sam, what this is saying is that I could have a run of cables 100 feet long, with a 9' segment that is bundled together. You would not have to apply ampacity adjustments because of this exception.

physis

It makes more sense the way you say it.

Adjacent portions of a circuit? Ok.

thank you very much people for such explicit answers I've been in the trade for just a couple of years so i hope you understand my lack of knowledge in some of the issues that you discuss but thats why iam here to learn

physis

I still don't know what I'm doing and I'm starting to loose hope that I ever will. :( :D

so if I got my home runs going to the panels at a certain point let said 20 feet before they get in to the panel I can tie up all my MC cables together an i will be ok

marinesgt0411

What is 110 something a neat and workman type manner.bundle the mc up and shove it down the wall to the panel to me does not comply spread them out and run them neatly to the panel does. but it is behind the drywall and no one will ever see it. take a little pride in your work even if you are the only one that does see it you will feel better just knowing you did a good job.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

What is 110 something a neat and workman type manner.bundle the mc up and shove it down the wall to the panel to me does not comply spread them out and run them neatly to the panel does. but it is behind the drywall and no one will ever see it. take a little pride in your work even if you are the only one that does see it you will feel better just knowing you did a good job.
I wouldn't say that bundling MC cable isn't in a workman like manner. In fact it's just the opposite. I've seen many jobs where the cable looks like spaghetti entering the panel. Those of us who take the time to carefully trim out the cables and dress them together are going the extra mile to perform in a workman like manner.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by peter d:
Bottom line, "neat and workmanlike" is so vague and subjective that it should be removed from the code.
In addition, like seatbelt and helmet laws, it should not even be needed.

volt101

Neat and workmanlike manner is just like saying beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What you may say is a beauty, others could say that her face could make a train take a dirt path!
However, the fpn gives a little help offering a document to view that helps in determining what a beauty is. Kind of like a Playboy for wires.

sandsnow

Originally posted by ryan_618:
The exception that most people don't consider is this one, which often times nullifies the whole thing:

310.15 Ampacities for Conductors Rated 0?2000 Volts.
(A) General.
(2) Selection of Ampacity. Where more than one calculated or tabulated ampacity could apply for a given circuit length, the lowest value shall be used.
Exception: Where two different ampacities apply to adjacent portions of a circuit, the higher ampacity shall be permitted to be used beyond the point of transition, a distance equal to 3.0 m (10 ft) or 10 percent of the circuit length figured at the higher ampacity, whichever is less.
Wow, this brings up a question.
If I have multiple HR's in seperate conduits that come to one large box, and then consolidate through a 8 foot long riser (say 2inch) down to a panelboard, I don't need to worry about derating in this conduit???

Wow, seems weird, almost heresy ;)

physis

A week or so ago Ryan called this exception "often overlooked". I didn't know about it and I see the world differently now.

Status
Not open for further replies.