MC is Supported and Secured Within 12” Through Framing Members

Occupation
Electrician
I recently got into an argument with a colleague of mine in regards to the issue of whether or not an MC cable must be strapped within 12” of the box even if the framing members (both wood or metal) is within 12” of the box. I have even found other forums that discuss this issue. Unfortunately, responses were closed in that forum so I am posting my take on this controversy topic.

Article 330.30 is where you find the Securing and Supporting Section for MC cable.

Article 330.30 (B) Securing. States that “unless otherwise provided, cables shall be secured at intervals not exceeding 1.8 m (6 ft). Cables containing four or fewer conductors sized no larger than 10 AWG shall be secured within 300 mm (12 in.) of every box, cabinet, fitting, or other cable termination…”

It would seem at first glance this answers the issue; however, if you keep reading within this article, you will find something quite fascinating. We first need to determine what the NEC defines or considers “supported” and “secured”.

Article 330.30 (A) General. Defines some methods for securing/supporting as “Type MC cable shall be supported and secured by staples; straps, hangers, or similar fittings; or other approved means designed and installed so as not to damage the cable.”

So far it appears that the hole within the framing members is not considered secured or supported but hang on just one moment as there is one more part of this article that clarifies this up. In Article 330.30 (A) General that I referenced in the paragraph above this one, you will see I boldened some words and bolden and italicized some other words. The bold words are the approved methods for securing and supporting MC cable. The italicized words indicate that there are more approved methods than just straps, staples, and hangars. So does the NEC give us other approved means for “securing” and “supporting?” As a matter of fact yes!

Article 330.30 (C) Supporting. States that “unless otherwise provided, cables shall be supported at intervals not exceeding 1.8 m (6 ft). Horizontal runs of Type MC cable installed in wooden or metal framing members or similar supporting means shall be considered supported and secured where such supports does not exceed 1.8-m (6-ft) intervals.

Notice that in the last paragraph I italicized both the words “supported” and “secured”. I have seen people argue that the hole through the framing member is considered supported; however, the NEC actually states that it is CONSIDERED supported and secured. This means that if the hole is within 12” of the box, then the MC is in fact properly secured AND supported.

Thank you for reading and engaging in this discussion. If you have more NEC code references that either supports or refutes my argument, please engage in the conversation. I want to be proven wrong.

darekelec

I vote for that to be compliant one has to use Colorado Jim caddy bracket, staple, cable tie , bx strap or similar to secure the mc cable within 12” of box

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I would say in a run through the studs, the cable is supported and secured in the horizontal run, and, still need to be secured within 12" of the box.

JAP>

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The sections for MC and for NM are slightly different.

330.30 Securing and Supporting.
(C) Supporting. Unless otherwise provided, cables shall be
supported at intervals not exceeding 1.8 m (6 ft).
Horizontal runs of Type MC cable installed in wooden or
metal framing members or similar supporting means shall be
considered supported and secured where such support does
not exceed 1.8-m (6-ft) intervals

334.30 Securing and Supporting.
(A) Horizontal Runs Through Holes and Notches. In other
than vertical runs, cables installed in accordance with 300.4
shall be considered to be supported and secured where such
support does not exceed 1.4-m (41∕2-ft) intervals and the
nonmetallic-sheathed cable is securely fastened in place by an
approved means within 300 mm (12 in.) of each box, cabinet,
conduit body, or other nonmetallic-sheathed cable termina‐
tion.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I recently got into an argument with a colleague of mine in regards to the issue of whether or not an MC cable must be strapped within 12” of the box even if the framing members (both wood or metal) is within 12” of the box. I have even found other forums that discuss this issue. Unfortunately, responses were closed in that forum so I am posting my take on this controversy topic.

Article 330.30 is where you find the Securing and Supporting Section for MC cable.

Article 330.30 (B) Securing. States that “unless otherwise provided, cables shall be secured at intervals not exceeding 1.8 m (6 ft). Cables containing four or fewer conductors sized no larger than 10 AWG shall be secured within 300 mm (12 in.) of every box, cabinet, fitting, or other cable termination…”

It would seem at first glance this answers the issue; however, if you keep reading within this article, you will find something quite fascinating. We first need to determine what the NEC defines or considers “supported” and “secured”.

Article 330.30 (A) General. Defines some methods for securing/supporting as “Type MC cable shall be supported and secured by staples; straps, hangers, or similar fittings; or other approved means designed and installed so as not to damage the cable.”

So far it appears that the hole within the framing members is not considered secured or supported but hang on just one moment as there is one more part of this article that clarifies this up. In Article 330.30 (A) General that I referenced in the paragraph above this one, you will see I boldened some words and bolden and italicized some other words. The bold words are the approved methods for securing and supporting MC cable. The italicized words indicate that there are more approved methods than just straps, staples, and hangars. So does the NEC give us other approved means for “securing” and “supporting?” As a matter of fact yes!

Article 330.30 (C) Supporting. States that “unless otherwise provided, cables shall be supported at intervals not exceeding 1.8 m (6 ft). Horizontal runs of Type MC cable installed in wooden or metal framing members or similar supporting means shall be considered supported and secured where such supports does not exceed 1.8-m (6-ft) intervals.

Notice that in the last paragraph I italicized both the words “supported” and “secured”. I have seen people argue that the hole through the framing member is considered supported; however, the NEC actually states that it is CONSIDERED supported and secured. This means that if the hole is within 12” of the box, then the MC is in fact properly secured AND supported.

Thank you for reading and engaging in this discussion. If you have more NEC code references that either supports or refutes my argument, please engage in the conversation. I want to be proven wrong.
Isn't the code nice. It only requires you to chase around and read 4 different sections to get what should be but apparently is not a simple answer.