MCC Heat loss Calculation

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I am currently involve in estimating the total heat loss of an MCC? Would anyone of you be able to help me or point me in the right direction.

What I am struggling with is basically, what factors to consider internally with in an MCC and externally as well?

Is there any way to estimate these losses or do I need to consult with Manufacturer to get this data out?

Thanks

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Every item in the mcc will produce heat when it is on. Some items like transformers and vfds produce heat when they are idle and a lot more heat when in use.

It is very difficult to determine just how much total heat is being produced at any instant because because it is hard to know what devices are in use and for things like vfds just to what extent they are in use. The amount of heat produced by a vfd can vary widely depending on load.

You can add up the worst case but it is unlikely you will ever see that.

If you are trying to figure out what kind of cooling is required, you will probably overstate how much heat is really generated when it is in operation.

kwired

Electron manager
Every item in the mcc will produce heat when it is on. Some items like transformers and vfds produce heat when they are idle and a lot more heat when in use.

It is very difficult to determine just how much total heat is being produced at any instant because because it is hard to know what devices are in use and for things like vfds just to what extent they are in use. The amount of heat produced by a vfd can vary widely depending on load.

You can add up the worst case but it is unlikely you will ever see that.

If you are trying to figure out what kind of cooling is required, you will probably overstate how much heat is really generated when it is in operation.
Cooling likely should be able to handle worst anticipated combinations of loading at any given time.

garbo

We had close to 200 starters in MCC buckets from four different companies. We would PM them from 1 to 4 times a year and took readings with a FLIR camera. The older starters with heaters always ran at least 6 to 10 degrees hotter then starters with the adjustable trip ( some call them electronic overload relays ). Garbage GE starters in MCC buckets always ran 15 to 20 degrees hotter. Even the green epoxy coated GE starter coils ran very hot even in a 70 degree air conditioned room. Only good thing about the GE green starter coils you could remove them extremely fast with no tools but were too hot to handle. We had size 4 old Westinghouse starters in MCC buckets ( were mounted side ways to save space) ran cooler then a GE size 2 MCC bucket starter.