Measuring light levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky 134

I have a customer who is interested in upgrading his lighting to reduce his energy costs and to take advantage of the federal tax credit.

The currently lighting is 1000watt metal halide high bays and we are considering T-5 fluorescents.

I need to measure the current foot candles of light at the floor to help calculate the new lighting.

Any suggestions as to a light meter ?

sc57ford

You will need to do a study to see how many of the T5 lamps you will need to re-light the warehouse. Then do your kwh calculations to justify the change over. At first glance, my guess is the existing lighting is the more economical. But not knowing the project, I can't say for sure. Do your calculations first.

peter

I got a light meter from Harbor Freight. I've only used it once and it worked. [No jokes please about it only works once.] I think it was about $30.
Perhaps if you have a good digital -- or even film -- camera, you could get a light reading from that. A professional photographic store should still stock light meters.
Mitchellinstrument.com sells several versions: $100, $169, $199 and $365. Get one with a separate sensor [middle two or the HF].
~Peter

76nemo

peter said:
I got a light meter from Harbor Freight. I've only used it once and it worked. [No jokes please about it only works once.] I think it was about $30.
Perhaps if you have a good digital -- or even film -- camera, you could get a light reading from that. A professional photographic store should still stock light meters.
Mitchellinstrument.com sells several versions: $100, $169, $199 and $365. Get one with a separate sensor [middle two or the HF].
~Peter

MI is a pretty impressive supplier. Great company, two thumbs up!

jdsmith

I have used two different light meters for a recent lighting survey I did for a relamping project (see this thread.) The first is a Greenlee 93-172 that has an external sensor that connects with a cord. The second meter says Sylvania on it and the sensor is built in to the meter. I would definately recommend the external sensor so you can hold the sensor at different heights and angles and still read the screen. The Greenlee meter worked fine for me and I bought mine buy-it-now on ebay for maybe $100.

Status
Not open for further replies.