mechanical equipment consumption for sake of panelboard feeder sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianMuir

Hi,
I've been doing some commercial building design lately and would like to check something with you guys.

My question relates to panelboard loading derived from from mechanical equipment.
Of course, I size motor conductors and breakers based on FLA and other rules, which are fairly straightforward. But it seems to me that resultant load on a distribution panel load is subject to some interpretation and judgment, with factors like actual motor load and duty cycle becoming very important.

For example, I have a bunch of 2.5 hp hydraulic engine hoists in this one building (a car dealership), each on a separate 25A circuit, sized based on FLA. If each pump were fully loaded and running all the time then the load on the panel is a bit less than 2KW load to the panel, for a total of something like 7.5KW. But, they run very intermittently, with a duty cycle well under 10%, so the total average load on the panel is actually much less. Based on duty cycle alone I think a value of 600W each is reasonable. I understand that it is important to design for worse case peak loads, but I tend to leave some capacity in each panel for that purpose.

I realize in this case the motors are fairly small - I am interested in the process rather than this particular example. The same sorts of decisions apply to larger mechanical equipment like HVAC systems. Perhaps some of you take a very conservative approach and just apply the full KW rating?

thanks!

shamsdebout

You seem to have a very firm understanding of the process already. Sometimes you will have room to factor in diversity.

I size my panels per the connected load from each equipment's FLA. Most of the work I am involved in has a 30 year system capacity life, and not much initial demand load. Doing this has allowed for adequate capacity as renovations and expansions are made.

BrianMuir

great, thanks!
I think the process of asking the question led me to the same conclusion. I'm a solo operation and it is really great to have this forum now that I can no longer just wander down the hall and some other engineer...

bob

Friendly Fire
I agree with your logic but I do not think that the NEC will direct you as how to handle this. There is some wording
that addresses the situation when motors are not all running at the same time and will not run at the same time.
I think your design to use the FLA for the branch ckt size and breaker size is correct. But as you say there is diversity
in the load when considering all motors. Another thing to consider is the time it take for the lift to raise its load. Your
example is similar to a car lift. The time it takes for the mechanic to raise a car is very short, maybe 30 sec at most.
So, even if you have a number of motors running, it is such a short time it is not a problem as far as loading the equipment.
However, when considering the A/C system, I believe you have a different situation. I would not apply a diversity factor in
this case because it is very likely that all systems will be running during the peak time of the day. This might depend on where
your are but if its anywhere between Texas and Florida, the A/C runs all day. Include Arizona on that list.

BrianMuir

you are dead accurate... the equipment is car lifts
Sorry if I wasn't clear... it was not my intention to ask the NEC for an answer, it is a matter of design, so I was asking fellow designers.
Up here we are at 50 degrees lat north so summer is not an issue. Winter is, especially on Vancouver Island where heat pumps are very effective, but also have huge peak loads.
Bottom line of the thread is, I think we all agree, use the FLA not only for designing the branch circuit, but for panelboard feeder calculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.