Medium voltage cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

faresos

Is there any advantage by using three conductor cable over using three single conductor cable (or the other way around) for medium voltage cables?

Thanks in advance..

celtic

The cross-sectional area may be smaller with a multi-conductor....resulting in:
- smaller conduit size ~ saves money.

The multi-conductor will require 1 pull vs. 3 for single conductors - saves money.

The termination/splice points might be a bit tricky - but only for those inexperienced with terminating/splicing a multi.

faresos

Thanks for your respond...

I have one more question, would that consider the three conductor cable to be one conductor (which will required 53% filling instead 40% filling for the three single conductors)? thanks again

jtester

There are equally as many downsides to 3 conductor cable. Are you serving predominately 3 phase loads? If not, single conductor cable has many benefits. How large a wire size do you need? You will have many more limitations if you need 500 kcmil for example.

What is your application?

Jim T

wirenut1980

faresos said:
Thanks for your respond...

I have one more question, would that consider the three conductor cable to be one conductor (which will required 53% filling instead 40% filling for the three single conductors)? thanks again

See the beginning of Chapter 9 in the NEC (I am using 2005 edition). Note 9 to the table states in part:

"A multiconductor cable of two or more conductors shall be treated as a single conductor for calculating percentage conduit fill area."

This surprised me when I looked it up. Intuitively I would have thought that you would still count a multiconductor cable as multiple conductors, since you still have 3 conductors.

Edit to add: Treating it as one conductor helps you in that it raises the maximum conduit fill allowed from 40% to 53%. You make it sound like a bad thing! :)

Last edited:

wanderer20001us

Mulitconductor cables are built as a system.

The multiconductor cable is not prone to cable role and binding during pulls, hence the 53% fill.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Cable has another advantage not mentioned yet.

With concentric designs most common to HV & MV cables, I believe skin effect and perhaps XL is reduced more reliably. I see how surface-area ratios remove proximity / skin effects, but not sure how that dissipates heat or EMF more reliably than solid-core wires, with identical circular mills, or mm^2 conductor area. Trouble is, outside linemen are the only one's I've seen equipped to terminate concentric cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.