Medium Voltage Shunt Trip Breaker Control Circuit Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

That Man

The ANSI standard DC control schematic always has the red light wired in series with the trip coil. Some breakers I've seen have the green light paralleled with the red, also in series with the trip coil. This would mean that the trip coil is always receiving voltage, but not enough to trip I guess, because I've seen it working. But WHY is it wired in series instead of through a seperate status contact? That's how it is in the ANSI standard AC control schematic. Anyone know the reason? I've attached the standard schematics for reference.

ANSI Standard Shunt Schematic.png

That Man

I'm asking this question because I'm developing a control circuit for a new 21kV breaker, and it would be a better design to separate this indicator light onto its own branch. UNLESS separating it is forbidden for some reason. If I don't uncover the reason why this indicator is in series, I will have to err on the side of leaving it as it is. The knowledge base of this forum has impressed me in the past, and I'm hoping someone somewhere has a spec or something that explains the reasoning.

SG-1

By it's own branch do you mean separately fused ?
The control schemes above are barebone schemes shown in the VCP-W breaker instruction booklet.
Most customer schemes do use two sets of fuses. Normally 20A for the close circuit & 30A for the trip circuit. You can go farther & provide separate fuses for the protective relays, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.