Medium Voltage Transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter coiro

has any member of this forum been involved in or specified medium voltage transformers for any projects
as an end user , I am interested to know what I should be looking for when my engineering team writes specification for medium voltage transformers

thanks in advance

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
yes, I specified up to 900MVA.

First off, what standards are you using, IEEE or IEC?

How detailed do you want to be, you can use data sheets, and some general notes about standards to follow, warranty, shipping, receiving, installation oversight, testing, etc. Which sounds like what weressl uses, and is my preferred choice, or, you can use 100pgs to tell them how to design it and build it, which frankly in the end just costs more, and you will essentially get the same thing.

As long as you stick with reputable manufacturers and state the standards to follow, then you really only need to specify the ratings and any other company specific stuff, as mentioned above.

What size are you talking about?

templdl

I would review the specifications that most transformer manufacturers have for their products. Most have what may be called "typical specifications" which are directed toward specifying their specific products. The intent if these "typical specifications" is to help a person write a specification that the person wants to be directed to a specific manufacture such as Eaton Electrical, Cooper Power, Waukesha Electric, ABB, etc.
If you compare the "typical specifications" from each of the manufacturers it would give you a very good foundation to write your own specifications that would include the general product requirements as well as those requirement which may be unique and important to your specific application needs.

I would review the specifications that most transformer manufacturers have for their products. Most have what may be called "typical specifications" which are directed toward specifying their specific products. The intent if these "typical specifications" is to help a person write a specification that the person wants to be directed to a specific manufacture such as Eaton Electrical, Cooper Power, Waukesha Electric, ABB, etc.
If you compare the "typical specifications" from each of the manufacturers it would give you a very good foundation to write your own specifications that would include the general product requirements as well as those requirement which may be unique and important to your specific application needs.

Eaton does not manufacture MV transformers. They use ABB or Cooper transformers that are then labeled Eaton. GE and Siemens are also in the business of fabricating their own. ANSI/IEEE Standard is the starting document in the US and then one chooses the options for the application.

templdl

I'm well aware of that as I was there when Westinghouse sold the MV line to ABB. The only thing that was left that went to the Eaton/C-H ( Now Eaton Electrical) was the DTDTs but no liquids.

I not sure that you are aware that Eaton continues to offer this product line even though is is actually manufacture by others and included it in their current product offering. They have to in order to package it with their switchgear line-ups.

Eaton's Condulting Application Guide still includes specification for example:

http://www.eaton.com/Electrical/Con...leased&Rendition=Primary&dDocName=TB00900003E

and this is a good template or a starting point for writing a spec,
http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@electrical/documents/content/ps00900002e.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.