Megohm Testing Cost for residential

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to get a feel on Megohm testing(Insulation Resistance Testing) cost for residential. The insurance company says I'm too high but the customer tells me that no one else has even been to his house. This is a 4000 square foot custom home(Very upscale with 10 and 12 foot ceilings)with 39 circuits that got hit by lightening hard with major damage. I'm figuring 3 hours per circuit which includes mapping each circuit, disconnecting all devices, then Insulation Resistance testing all circuits and reconnecting all devices.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Just off the top of my head, I suspect that 3 hours time 39 circuits will really be on the high side.
Maybe not a bad number for one circuit, but there definitely will be savings in the tracing and identification when you are doing all the circuits in the house.
Presumably whatever number you come up with will be presented to the insurance company for approval before they will commit to pay.
From what you describe I do not see any local competition to drive the bid/estimate down, but it still seems high to me.

The best guidance, though, will come from someone who has actually done such a job.

Thank-You!!! What is going to take so much time is, at the end of the day, the power has to be back on. Yes, if I could go in and disconnect everything and then do the testing, it would not take too long. But to map out every circuit and be 100% correct with every device on that circuit takes time(If I'm wrong and burn something up, after sending 500 volts DC through the circuit, it comes out of my pocket).

This home was hit so hard that the gutter joints were burnt all away around the house. We found a spot where the romex was almost burnt in half at staple locations, light fixtures destroyed, dimmers burnt, GFCI's burnt, security system burnt, TV's burnt, garage door openers burnt, etc. etc. The insurance company refused to do a Insulation Resistance Test and hired a Electrical Engineering firm to evaluate the home. They came back and said the home needs a Insulation Resistance Test 100% in their report, check the ground resistance at the point of the electrical service, and numerous other things. The insurance company shot themselves in the foot on hiring the Electrical Engineering firm because now they have to do the IR test. They are saying I'm to high on my price but they haven't been able to produce another Electrical Contractor to even bid on the house in 2 months. Like I said earlier, this is a upscale home with lots of options(Not a easy job to say the least).

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
It’s no wonder they have no other bidders.

IMO, total rewire down to the bare studs. Nothing less.

Talk to your insurance carrier.

Now that you described the damage I don't see what insulation testing is going to do except waste time. Likely the results will show that substantial amounts of wiring will have to be replaced so just cut to the chase and do a total demo/rewire. That's probably why there were no other bidders. Just remember, insurance companies are scum. They will try to get away with paying the least amount of money and doing the least amount of work they can. You, on the other hand will be on the hook forever if you follow their advice, leave some wiring in place and a fire ensues.

I would recommend a total rewire or run, don't walk away from this one.

-Hal

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
I think diesel cost too much too, but if I can only get it from one place "who ya gonna call"?
With that much damage visible I wouldn't trust a megger or put y company on the line, If you do the job, you better have your lawyer make some blue paper stating that your testing isn't an approval for getting a c.o.; only numbers on paper no liability, no conclusions by you, for engineering review.

growler

hired a Electrical Engineering firm to evaluate the home.

IMO, total rewire down to the bare studs. Nothing less.

Probably come down to a rewire anyway. Just because the engineering company evaluates the system doesn't mean they will sign off on it.

They will probably spend as much on testing as a rewire would cost.

But the EC may get paid for both testing and rewire.

growler

I'm figuring 3 hours per circuit which includes mapping each circuit, disconnecting all devices, then Insulation Resistance testing all circuits and reconnecting all devices.

You will end up keeping records of every test you make for that engineering company.

You have given them a set price which is better than most will do so stick to it.

In the end you may get paid to test and rewire.

Even if this wiring passes the IR test the engineering firm may want Arc Fault breakers and smoke detectors installed to code.

GerryB

Back to photonsparky's question, people still in the house? Sounds like maybe the building or electrical inspector should be involved if they are not already. they can condemn it if it's unsafe. Or the insurance company should put them up somewheere for a week and let you work. Sounds like a nitemare:cry:. Would you have to meg just home runs?

growler

Thank-You!!! What is going to take so much time is, at the end of the day the power has to be back on. Yes, if I could go in and disconnect everything and then do the testing, it would not take too long.

Back to photonsparky's question, people still in the house? Sounds like maybe the building or electrical inspector should be involved if they are not already. they can condemn it if it's unsafe. Or the insurance company should put them up somewheere for a week and let you work. Sounds like a nitemare:cry:. Would you have to meg just home runs?

When the power is shut off by the utility they normally won't cut power back on until there is an inspection by the local jurisdiction saying that it's safe. You would have to permit and get an inspector involved.

In many jurisdictions they won't let people live in a house without power. Other jurisdictions don't get as formal about it.

I restored power to a house last year where a tenant had been there for almost two months before the insurance company decided they would pay. No one seemed overly concerned that the poor guy had been living in the dark.

If a jurisdiction requires a PE to sign off on the job before they will restore power then you have to do whatever the engineering firm wants as far as megging.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Air is an insulator. I would be concerned that megging won't tell the whole story. I agree with those that recommend cutting to the chase and pushing for a rewire.

Status
Not open for further replies.