Mercury Vapor bulbs in High pressure sodium fixture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

milemaker13

I am replacing bulbs in the exterior fixtures. Some of these fixtures look like the same exact fixture. Apon opening them some have HPS bulbs while at least one other has a MV bulb.

I don't thin these bulbs are interchangable with out a ballast change, right? So how can I tell which fixture has the correct bulbs? They may both be correct, but how can you tell the differance? No stickers or lables I can see.

The fixture with the HPS bulb has a transformer (ballast), capacator and an igniter. I havn't torn into the other fixture yet.

See this is the stuff that makes lighting such a pain!! :rant::slaphead::sick:

milemaker13

I'm sorry. I should do more searching and reading before posting. I was frusterated when I came if from cold. Its just I spent time getting like 10 differnt bulbs from all the differant fixtures, went to the supply house twice to pick them all up, and now tham I'm back out there in the boom, these ones are differant.:slaphead:

Still learining to calm down.

milemaker13

So far it seems like a MV fixture won't have an igniter, while a HPS fixture will have an igniter. Sound correct?

I just want to be sure before I go putting the wrong lamps in.

Did the last guy put in the wrong lamp, did the other last guy put in the wrong lamp?

milemaker13

OK, so several of these fixtures are in fact 175 w mercury vapor lamps. One other fixture still has a tag inside. So thanks for letting me vent a little. Again, I appoligize for the outburst:ashamed1:

Status
Not open for further replies.