Metal frame of a building

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
A 2011 NEC grounding and bonding book I have allows the metal frame of a building to be recognized as a grounding electrode conductor according to 250.52A2 but is this still valid? I thought I seen in mike holts daily tip that this was not allowed?

If not what is the code to disallow this?

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
A 2011 NEC grounding and bonding book I have allows the metal frame of a building to be recognized as a grounding electrode conductor according to 250.52A2 but is this still valid? I thought I seen in mike holts daily tip that this was not allowed?

If not what is the code to disallow this?
It's OK for a GEC but not in lew of a EGC. Its also not just steel studs but more like pilings and heavy steel construction.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
It's OK for a GEC but not in lew of a EGC. It’s also not just steel studs but more like pilings and heavy steel construction.
Do you have to measure GEC dimensions to ensure cross section area of steel pickings meet GEC requirements for type of electrode used?

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Not if it's steel in the footing bolted together to the rest of the building steel. It's like a ufer and is used for GEC for transformers and separate services in large buildings.
I forgot what an ufer was but I read it in the book I have once