Metal Halide Bulb replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Is there an advantage to replacing these with the same thing?

Is a 70 watt metal halide bulb any different than an LED bulb with the same lumens?

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Only that at that small of size shouldn't matter much other than maybe its color rendering index maybe lower.
As you start to get into larger metal halides the weight of led fixture replacement maybe become an issue.

Saturn_Europa

Occupation
Electrician Limited License NC

Is a 70 watt metal halide bulb any different than an LED bulb with the same lumens?

I've been replacing metal halide bulbs around my plant with LEDs. The LEDs are significantly larger and I've run into spots were the LED replacement doesn't fit in the enclosed fixture.

Most I buy are ballast bypass

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Metal Halide may have mercury, not sure about that
If left on 24x7 older style lamps will explode, solution is to turn off once a week
And of course the big difference is the huge energy savings, no color shift and LED lamps may last your career. Some POCOs will give you grant money to replace

HID luminaires are designed for the point source of the HID lamp, changing to an LED may impact the light distribution.

Mustwin351

I've been replacing metal halide bulbs around my plant with LEDs. The LEDs are significantly larger and I've run into spots were the LED replacement doesn't fit in the enclosed fixture.

Most I buy are ballast bypass

Has anyone replaced a 250w metal halide lamp with a ballast bypass led one yet?

would like to know how affective they were and where you bought them.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent

A couple quick things that come to mind. Instant on, no 15 minute delay when the power glitches. LED's can be dimmed, or controlled by occupancy sensors. They require less maintenance.

Saturn_Europa

Occupation
Electrician Limited License NC
Has anyone replaced a 250w metal halide lamp with a ballast bypass led one yet?

would like to know how affective they were and where you bought them.

I have been happiest with Olympia Lighting. Their bulbs seem to be brightest at rated hid "retrofit" . Definitely make sure you double check your fixture dimensions though. The bulbs will be longer.

They only carry E26 and E39 base types. Last I checked they did not have EX-39s.

One of the best things about switching to led is that you can install lighting controls and occupancy sensors

ken44

I usually call a local lighting rep and have them come out and tell me what my options for LED solutions are, then have them follow up with a quote.

Howard.MF

The major difference would be the energy consumption. Generally LED bulbs has two time energy efficiency than the metal halide lamps.

You can find the product in amazon, they have vast amount of metal halide replacement lamps

Last edited by a moderator:

kwired

Electron manager
Only that at that small of size shouldn't matter much other than maybe its color rendering index maybe lower.
As you start to get into larger metal halides the weight of led fixture replacement maybe become an issue.

I ran into this a few years back when I replaced mercury vapor lamps with compact fluorescent lamps on some lighting poles.

As time went by the lamp sockets couldn't take the forces they were subjected to - heavier and longer lamp plus shaking of the pole in windy conditions, led to socket failures.

MH LED replacements are cheap, but not good

MH LED replacements are cheap, but not good

You are better off replacing the whole fixture rather than messing around with the LED replacement lamps. Ballast bypass/Direct Fit, doesn't matter, all the same chinese garbage. The light they put out is not good, and you will be dealing with alot of burnouts over the next few years. There are a lot of options out there for new fixtures that will pay back in less than 2 years, and last 10-20 years. Its hard to say no to a cheap LED bulb, but the cost of the man hours/lift rentals/etc is not worth it. Just install a new fixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.