Metal halide Site lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwyllie

Re: Metal halide Site lighting

Thanks, these fixtures are supplied with a medium base socket, so I guess I am SOL.

benaround

bwyllie,

Other than dwelling units, you are fine.You can always add inline fuses at each fixture for additional protection.

frank

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by physis:
What about 210.21(A)?
What about it? :)

A typical site lighting circuit in this area will be protected by a 50 amp 3 pole 480 volt breaker. There will be fuses at each pole base sized for just the ballasts on that pole.

physis

Yes indeed, HID, I don't do much commercial and I confess, I get thrown by the stupid base types used in the book. Have any of the base references changed in the 2005?

Edit: bwyllie's talking about a medium base?

[ July 05, 2005, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

bwyllie

the cut sheet shows these fixtures as having a medium base socket, so I guess I cannot install a 30A c/b. I could install a 30A circuit breaker and fuses at the poles as recommended.

benaround

Physis,

210.21(A) last sentence ,not less than 750 watts if of any other type.

That should clear it up.

frank

physis

Yeah Frank, Not that I haven't read the section enough times in the past, but I noticed it again when I went over it a second time a little while ago.

physis

I'm sorry Frank. When I mentioned 210.21(A) I was thinking that you meant by adding a fuse you can effectively lower the branch circuit rating.

physis

What are these bases? The heavy duty I believe is a mogal. That's easy enough, if that's what it is. It's good that there's no description of what this means. And I never see the term in the industry, I mean outside of home depot, where Heavy Duty is next to the "Deluxe" products.

But admittedly there's a lot of things I'm not aware of in the industry.

I don't know, is this a typo? admedium? What in the world is admedium? Even if it's "medium" What is this, fast food? Because if it is I think it's a large now? Or a small?

:confused:

Can't CMP 2 be clear about something?, anything, I'm not that picky.

hurk27

Sam A medium base lamp holder that has a 660 watt rating is a heavy duty lamp holder. That is what it is saying. has nothing to do with being a Mogul base. in fact a Mogul base lamp holder has to be listed for 750 watts before it is considered heavy duty.

Yes it is a typo.

physis

Thank you for that Wayne. Somehow I think I can understand this section now. :cool:

bwyllie

yes it is a medium base. Am I to understand that a medium base socket is a heavy duty lampholder and I am allowed to use a 30A circuit breaker?

physis

If it's a medium base and rated at least 660 watts you can use a 30 amp circuit.

I don't know how CMP 2 does it. For the longest time I thought this section said something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.