metal in-use cover with pvc box...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danger32

We are replacing appx. 50 worn out 120V receptacles and leaking w.p. flip covers indoors in a wet location and we'd like to use aluminum in-use style covers because they hold up much better than the plastic ones IMO. The covers come with an integral bonding jumper with a ring terminal that I assume would be bonded if attached to the "ground clip" of a self grounding type receptacle but cannot find any information in the paperwork or U.L. listing info. The existing boxes are PVC. What are your thoughts? What about for snap switches that do not have the grounding clip? Thanks.

Danger32

I'm thinking it's probably not a good idea. Even if the switch has a ground screw the cover still wouldn't be bonded to the yoke. IMO if you attach the factory bonding jumper of the cover to the lower receptacle mounting screw (with the grounding "clip") it would be effectively bonded. Looked it up on the U.L. database and found limited info. I'll try to contact the manufacturer (Intermatic) and find out if they're suitable for use on nonmetallic boxes. In the mean time I'll put the plastic ones on.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Is this any different then a metal face plate attached to a receptacle inside? The screw from the metal cover bonds the metal plate.

Danger32

yes, similar Dennis, but the metal cover in my case has a plastic insert that is sandwiched between the device or receptacle mounting screw head and their respective yokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.