metal or plastic box extenders for receptacles after installing kitchen backsplash in EMT area?

pfus

Occupation
Elect. Engineer

James L

Occupation
Electrician
In KC we call them spark rings.

And yes, with metal ones it's best to wrap the devices with tape.

I much prefer plastic.

Arlingtons don't double well

Carlons are good for multi-gang applications

garbo

Just wondering whether there are code requirements for plastic vs metal. I am in NW Chicago burbs with metal/conduit code.

Do I have to use metal or can I use plastic?
metal:
https://www.southwire.com/electrical-components/steel-boxes-
Just wondering whether there are code requirements for plastic vs metal. I am in NW Chicago burbs with metal/conduit code.

Do I have to use metal or can I use plastic?
metal:
https://www.southwire.com/electrica...sories/3-x-2-switch-box-extension-ring/p/SBEX
vs. plastic:
https://www.cityelectricsupply.com/arlington-industries-be1-box-extender-single-gang-white

With metal I feel that I need to wrap the devices....
Surprised that it has a two hour fire rating with what they state is made from plastic.
-accessories/3-x-2-switch-box-extension-ring/p/SBEX
vs. plastic:
https://www.cityelectricsupply.com/arlington-industries-be1-box-extender-single-gang-white

With metal I feel that I need to wrap the dde

BarryO

Occupation
Electrical engineer (retired)
No, it is metal/conduit code in my area. But don't know whether this prevents plastic extenders
In my area the local code (State Code actually) is available on line. It's just a list of variances with the in-force NEC. If yours doesn't contain any prohibition of non-metallic extenders you should be good to go.

garbo

You'd have to check your local code. Does it allow plastic junction boxes?
I would only use the so called two hour fire rated plastic extensions in residential work. I worked in some locations that plumbers weren't allowed to use PVC pipe in commercial work due to toxic fumes produced during a fire.

garbo

NYC is all metal wiring methods and planting box extenders are allowed
Metal box extenders can create shorts
NYC is all metal wiring methods and planting box extenders are allowed
Metal box extenders can create shorts
While working at a large candy plant back.in the 1980's we had a fancy 40' candy mold washer that was piped in with PVC conduit to feed blower motors & start stop stations.. The tech told us they shipped a similar machine to New York city that had to have the PVC conduit replaced.

NoahsArc

Occupation
Residential EC
I'm in one of the burbs too...
I've tried installing a metal extender, and the edges were so sharp I took it out, went back, and bought plastic. It's a huge short hazard, they should never have been listed. As in, I don't care what code says, I'm never installing a metal one for liability reasons, period. If an inspector takes issue with plastic, then I have a fun job of figuring out a solution.

I've yet to have a plastic extended job inspected, so I don't know how it would work there, nor how it would work in any random city, since they all have their own laundry lists of amendments and peeves.

I don't think it matters. You aren't relying on the extender to do anything other than capture arcing and prevent infiltration. The screws on your receptacle are still threading into the metal box. Electrically, the extension is non-entity either way.

There's one person alone who can answer this: the inspector. Email them, let us know what they said.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Here is something that is a puzzle. The limited depth of exposed wall material aside a box opening, requiring an extension, is a mystery, since Lamp fixtures will have the canopies that extend in some cases well beyond the enclosure, exposing the wall or ceiling surface to the wiring and potential for burning that the excuse for an extension is suppose to mitigate.