Metal Panel Pools

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGingerElectrician

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor, TN
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My question is pertaining to metal panel pools where the panels are mechanically connected together with bolted connections. The panels I'm talking about are individual panels used to construct the pooll shell but they are all attached together with bolted connections and a pool liner put in later. Do each of these panels have to be bonded together or just find four equal points as mentioned in the NEC Article 680?

TheGingerElectrician

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I wonder if each panel will be required to be bonded eventually. It seems that it would be better in case any of the panel connections were to fail that it would make a safer install to have the bonded connection there so the bonding isn't dependent on all the panels staying connected.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
How many bolts connect each panel to the next? And aren't they also bolted to an upright-- which, I'm assuming, also touches the ground?

TheGingerElectrician

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Usually about 4 or 5 bolts. I don't think there are any uprights but the base of them is always in concrete.

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
Drill a small hole through each panel joint, secure your lug with a nut and bolt. You can run the 4 tails the same way on each end and side.

It's treated similar to a metal fence that's within the required bonding area from the pool water, whereas you bond each post, as the fence sections can be removed, which results in a loss of bonding.

Status
Not open for further replies.