metal rail 6' fences

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo123

How is the best way to ground these 6' fences that has a electric gate attached ? The only thing grounded is the electric motor with a #12 feed to sub panel through pvc conduit . Grounding grid appears to far from fence to attach to fence.

ceb58

Do not see a need for it. If the motor has an EGC, which you said it did, then through the mounting of the motor to the frame to the fence it is bonded. If some how the frame is isolated then it is not required.
Every opener I have dealt with the motor and controls are not attached to the fence. The only connection between the two is the metal chain from the drive gears to the chain bracket on the gate. Which would still be bonded through the motors EGC.

jimbo123

ceb understand what you are saying but the fence is on both sides of the motor [gate ], one side is not connected to motor or egc in anyway.

ceb58

no pool. plant setting, someone mention it had to be grounded. but i'm not sure.

First. Who the hell is someone. This person named someone shows up a lot on jobs. And someone comes up with some strange things that he cannot back up with code.

ceb understand what you are saying but the fence is on both sides of the motor [gate ], one side is not connected to motor or egc in anyway.

If one side is not connected in anyway then what is the point?
I worked in the prison system for over 20 years doing maint. and electrical at over 30 different prisons. We had just about every brand opener on the market. And as long as the EGC was on the motor/ frame it was good. Now believe me if there were a code or requirement for grounding the fence we would have had to do it. God forbid one of the precious inmates get a shock from the fence.
Take a look at 250.136 and 250.136 (A)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It sounds like it is (or should be) grounded via the EGC of the circuit likely to energize it.

haskindm

How the heck do you "ground" something that is already "connected to the earth"???!!! A fence is by nature "grounded" at every fence post. The motor for the gate is bonded to the electrical system through the equipment ground. That is all that is required unless someone decides that the fence is "likely to become energized". The circuit that is likely to energize it is the circuit for the gate motor. The equipment ground for the motor is allowed to bond the fence so in this case no other bonding or grounding is required.

jimbo123

I have always seen fences attached to the ground grid . a fellow worker asked the question why the fence wasn't connected to ground grid. I did not have a answer. Some of the fence is connected by way of motor egc. but not all.
thank you

ceb58

I have always seen fences attached to the ground grid . a fellow worker asked the question why the fence wasn't connected to ground grid. I did not have a answer. Some of the fence is connected by way of motor egc. but not all.
thank you

In this case you are comparing apples to oranges. If in an industrial setting the fence is bonded to the ground ring it is not because they have electric openers.

jimbo123

My comment about the egc was in response to a poster saying the fence was still attached to ground by the egc. I questioned why other fences are attached to the grounding grids at other plants and should all fences be grounded . I believe I got my answer.
Thanks to all responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.