metal studs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two questions. Are there any restrictions or special considerations to using romex in metal framing? From my understanding the metal framing must be grounded. How often should the grounding be done and what is the best way to do this while meeting code. construction is in Maricopa County, Arizona

[ May 10, 2004, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: tgriswold1256 ]

ken44

Re: metal studs

I read this newsletter below from Mike and it seems to apply to your situation, not in location but in essence as you will be dealing with sharp edges on metal studs, I work around metal studs alot and I personally use MC Cable and it works very well.

334.12 Uses Not Permitted

This new rule prohibits the installation of NM cables above suspended ceilings in commercial occupancies because the task group on NM cable felt that NM cable in this space could be damaged by maintenance and other trades, sharp edges on air handling equipment, or rough weld seams on bar joists.

dnbob

tgriswold, if your in the Phoenix metro area, you can only use romex in metal studs for houses. There are local ammendments that will not let you use the romex in commercial applications. You must use a bushing on the holes you stud punch. The studs are grounded through the use of metal boxes mounted to the studs. Hope this helps. FYI, if you are working in Sun City, even if you use mc cable, the city requires bushings.

bphgravity

The only considerations I can come up with is Article 300.4(B)(1)(2) as stated above. I don't believe the code specifically requires the steel framing members to be grounded. Article 250.104(C) is as close as I can find for a requirement, but I don't think it directly applies as usually the framing is not exposed. It certainly can't hurt to bond the steel if you desire or have a concern. :)

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician

The intent of art 250 is for bonding structural steel columns, not steel studs. As pointed out one 4S box per run bonds the entire wall section.

Status
Not open for further replies.