Metallic raceway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tundra5156

Hello,
I am a facility electrician at a hospital and we recently had a 250v dc battery charger replaced. The installing electrician ran a 1/2" conduit to the charger for the ac supply line. He drilled a hole through the perforated vents in the top of the charger to accept a 1/2" cast fitting and installed the emt here. I know this violates many codes and looking for help in citing the NEC excerpts that this installation violates.
The charger is a painted surface and the cast connector just has a standard cast locknut which does not maintain electrical continuity. But what about actually installing the conduit into the group of vented holes?

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
So ask the guy to put a bonding nut on the connector and then carry a piece of copper to some other place inside the unit. It has a gnd terminal somewhere inside.

To meet NEC requirements the charger should be installed per the directions supplied with the charger. Words, or lack of words, in those directions will say "ok, or not". With the lack of words scenario, as long as the setup is not a blatant violation of any NEC section, game on.

But you did already mention it's violating all sorts of code. So why then the question about where the conduit is going? If you know it has violations then have them redo it correctly. Or, you think is has violations and seeking some NEC code that might say so?

FionaZuppa

Occupation
A picture would be helpful.
162-G-v1.png

kwired

Electron manager
The charger is a painted surface and the cast connector just has a standard cast locknut which does not maintain electrical continuity.

Is there a wire EGC within the raceway? If there is good bond on other end of racway and EGC within, I don't see any problem, the raceway is still bonded.

But what about actually installing the conduit into the group of vented holes?

Might need to see that to comment on it. I have entered wall of enclosure before that the entire wall is perforated like you mention. If there is limited ventilation openings, then an entry might have a greater impact on cooing performance, or in some cases it could maybe improve performance.

Tundra5156

1. Welcome.

2. What and where is the manufacturer's intended A.C. entrance point?

The manufacturer references the point of entrance to be the k/o's at the bottom of equipment. I guess my question is if there is any know verbiage in the NEC that limits or restricts the installation of a conduit into a piece of equipment perforated venting holes. I've tried to upload a picture but it doesn't allow me to.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The manufacturer references the point of entrance to be the k/o's at the bottom of equipment. I guess my question is if there is any know verbiage in the NEC that limits or restricts the installation of a conduit into a piece of equipment perforated venting holes. I've tried to upload a picture but it doesn't allow me to.
Then along with post #2 see 110.3(B)

There is also 110.3(A)(5), I would say the conduit entering the top is now a chimney for hot air.

Roger

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician

There is also 110.3(A)(5), I would say the conduit entering the top is now a chimney for hot air.

Roger

Using this, challenge the contractor to provide evidence for his work.

FionaZuppa

Occupation

Roger
Fire foam it. Still an issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.