Meter banks, where is demarcation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sketchy

I want to add a sub panel between the meter and the apartment for solar. Is it legal to splice inside the meter bank on the customer side? I know you can't in a single meter enclosure but I don't know why you couldn't in this situation.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Not an NEC compliance issue as long as you are on the consumer side of the service point... but there are compliance issues associated with how you make a tap or splice. As long as it is the customer side of the meter and not making connection in POCO controlled equipment, the POCO shouldn't have issue with it, but I can't speak for them...

Last edited:

Schwegs08

Occupation
Power Operation Manager
Here is a question that always threw me for a loop. in most cases the utility has a point of demarcation at the top of the mast. but with underground fed meter bases the point of demarcation is the meter base. What has your experience been and why is it that way?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
What's the difference? POCO is responsible for the service drop. OK, so with an aerial drop they aren't responsible for the cable or conduit coming down the side of the building from the point of attachment to the meter. That's not considered part of the service drop.

-Hal

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Here is a question that always threw me for a loop. in most cases the utility has a point of demarcation at the top of the mast. but with underground fed meter bases the point of demarcation is the meter base. What has your experience been and why is it that way?
Here, it's the meter either way.

Schwegs08

Occupation
Power Operation Manager
The difference that i see is, in most cases it is a NESC certified lineman making the termination on a customer own meterbase on the side of a house with underground fed system. on overhead the terminations are Arial. To me an NEC certified electrician should make the terminations inside of a meter base not a lineman. Ive seen many lineman Break the terminals off and not know it in a meter base. they typically dont know torque specs, they just tighten the heck out of the lugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.