Meter socket height

Status
Not open for further replies.

codeunderstanding

Can anyone tell me where the code article for meter sockets are. There suppose to be 4-6feet above finished grade right. Or is this a utility code not in the nec. I cant find it in the code book.

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Re: Meter socket height

This is not addressed in the NEC. The serving utility will have its own requirements. For instance where I am the requirement is 4 to 6 ft. above finished grade to the center of the socket.

physis

I don't think it's NEC but probably most every jurisdiction or utility has a rule for it.

I'd ask your building department.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by jimwalker:
Here it's 5 feet plus or minus 6 inches.Your poco can give you this and other requirments they may have.
Same here (VA).

speedypetey

Every POCO has a manual, usually a <color> book.
We have the "Blue Book". On LI LILCO (LIPA) had the "Red Book".

I strongly suggest you get one from the POCO's you work with.
Most are free, and many have downloadable versions.

physis

I still haven't gotten around to downloading mine (Green). When I went to get the "real" one (on paper) I was about 5 minutes too late and they couldn't track down any remaining printed ones for me. :(

paul

It used to be 5-7 ft here with our local utility, but they changed it to 4-6 ft when their meter readers were to short to read it at 7'. :D

stevenj

Go to your local utility and pick up their specifications book. All utility's have one, they should be free.
it will tell you eveything you need to know.
thats what I did.

charlie

Some electric utilities will not give you a copy, I know that we quit issuing them and only post it on the Internet. If you want a copy of our Goldbook, you have to print it out from the web site. :D

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician

The NEC does not require a meter. Since this is not a perfect world and electricty is not free, we install a meter to the POCO requirements. If they wanted it painted purple and mounted at 4.73 ft to the center thats what you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.