Meters

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have three main service disconnects fed from trough. The utility meters are shown on the load side of the main service disconnect. The incoming service is 208/120V three phase.

I thought that utility meters are on line side of the main service disconnects between the trough and the main service disconnects for something like below situation where there is no one main breaker? Would I be correct or incorrect?

1e139b65dfab2702e43bb659fbe24d27.jpg

I have three main service disconnects fed from trough. The utility meters are shown on the load side of the main service disconnect. The incoming service is 208/120V three phase.

I thought that utility meters are on line side of the main service disconnect between the trough and the main service disconnect? Would I be correct or incorrect?
NEC is silent on the issue. It's a POCO issue.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I agree with your assertion. The POCO normally doesn't want us to have access ahead of the meter.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
NEC is silent on the issue. It's a POCO issue.

Right should have placed in general electrical forum.

Only thing is grounding electrode conductor connection must be in accessible enclosure in this case they are not accessible in trough or the main service disconnect IF it is installed that way. Utility has locks.

I thought something is wrong then wondered the utility meter location for 208/120V three phase.

How do you usually see it on 208/120V three phase? Thats what i have

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I agree with your assertion. The POCO normally doesn't want us to have access ahead of the meter.

The meters are on load side of service disconnects for 208/120V. Their is no main breaker.

I dont understand your saying you typically see them on line side of the main service disconnect for 208/120V three phase or not?

Right should have placed in general electrical forum.

Only thing is grounding electrode conductor connection must be in accessible enclosure in this case they are not accessible in trough or the main service disconnect IF it is installed that way. Utility has locks.

I thought something is wrong then wondered the utility meter location for 208/120V three phase.

How do you usually see it on 208/120V three phase? Thats what i have
Locks are not an issue. Stuff is behind locked doors all the time - most of the time for other than residential. I think we have been thru this.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Typically, here, the meters and disconnects would swap location but as has been noted, that a POCO decision.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
This is not a code issue..the code does not care where the service disconnect is in relation to the meter. This is a power company issue and only your power company can answer the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.