Meters

Status
Not open for further replies.

cschmid

I am looking at buying a new meter and have narrowed it down to a couple of meters. one is a fluke 117 and the other is a 289. I am open to other suggestions. I work with a lot of control circuits and need accuracy on smaller voltages. anyone used these meters and have any good data on similar meters.

76nemo

What exactly are you looking for in your new meter? How extensive do you need it to be as far as different functions? The 117 and 289 are night and day. If money is of no virtue, what exactly do you specifically need?

gar

Occupation
EE
090212-1210 EST

I have no experience with either. Based on specifications and functions and if money was not a factor, then I would choose the 289.

A separate question is what is the difference between the 287 and 289. I did not print out the specifications and compare them. A quick look and I did not see the difference.

Find one and play with it. That is the best means of evaluation for your needs.

jdsmith

090212-1210 EST

I have no experience with either. Based on specifications and functions and if money was not a factor, then I would choose the 289.

A separate question is what is the difference between the 287 and 289.

One feature that the 289 has and the 287 doesn't is a low input impedance voltage mode - useful for investigating those phantom voltages.

I'm an electrical engineer in a refinery and I have a Fluke 289, 337 true RMS clamp, 11 (basic DMM),T5, T+ pro, and some fancier logging and power quality devices. If I only need rough voltages or am checking fuses I reach for the T+ pro or T5 because they're small and light. If I need anything beyond what those two can do I almost always use the 289. If you're working on control circuits on a regular basis I would think you would want something on the higher end like the 179, 87-V or 289, probably not the 117. Keep in mind the 289 is fairly large, but so are the 179, 87-V, and any other accurate, fully featured meters. The logging feature on the 289 is handy if you need to monitor a voltage in one place but push a start or stop button somewhere else. It eliminates the need for an extra person who isn't always around when needed.

cschmid

well for one money can be an issue considering the state is broke and we are running negative spending.

I am doing all forms of electrical work from repairs to installs but allot of control voltages.

The facility runs on plc's and allot of low voltage gear like 6 volt dc is all over. the logging feature is one of the issues because I could then be remote. I am wondering if i could set it up and let it run for awhile and record the operation of specific items. and how that function actually worked and if the meter could hold the data or if it could be down loaded or not.

I will have limited space and security issues as well to deal with. so meter will fit but laptop is not an option in certain areas.

now I own a fluke 87 and some other meters. yet I am not allowed any personal tools. so I need to pick a meter. The guy I work with has a 287 I like to use but the logging is with a laptop so that limits the spots it can be used. But sharing is not a long term option for us but having a good meter that can be shared is good thing.

So I can use the help as I will need to sell this meter to get it. so the more I can find out the beter.

wptski

You don't need a laptop to log. If you want to save it for the future then you'd need to download to a PC.

One thing to remember on the 289 is that you must save the logging session to its memory first before you can view it like a graph. It's not in real time which wasn't real clear to many who purchased when they first came out.

cschmid

Here is another kicker It is going to have to come from graingers. I was thinking I might beable to get a little fancier meter for the same money as a fluke by buying an extech but I know no one who has one. so I can base nothing on them except they seem to have some nice features.

cschmid

You don't need a laptop to log. If you want to save it for the future then you'd need to download to a PC.

One thing to remember on the 289 is that you must save the logging session to its memory first before you can view it like a graph. It's not in real time which wasn't real clear to many who purchased when they first came out.

now it is not clear on that feature. yet for same money can buy a extech scope meter EXTECH 381295A-NIST. yet I still lean toward the 289

wptski

now it is not clear on that feature. yet for same money can buy a extech scope meter EXTECH 381295A-NIST. yet I still lean toward the 289
That's it! The 289 doesn't log like a scope can in real time would nor does it has the resolution/accuracy of one either.

I knew people that bought a 289 and where trying to get it to graph/plot in real time but couldn't because of misleading info.

cschmid

so what is the lag time. do you think a scope meter would be a good investment like this one.

Portable Digital Oscilloscope, Bandwidth 5 MHz, Super Twist LCD Display, 2 Channels, Special Features Menu Driven Operation, Auto or Manual Setup, Single Shot Mode, Store and Recall 16 Waveforms, USB Interface, Input Sensitivity 50mV/div, Safety Rating CAT II 1000V, CAT III 600V, NIST Calibration Certificate, Includes Test Leads, Alligator Clips, Holster, Battery Pack, AC Adaptor/Charger, USB Cable, Windows(R) 95/98/NT/2000/ME/XP Compatible Software, Carrying Case and Instructions

the only problem I see is it does not have a dmm function so i guess i am back to the fluke.

wptski

Lag time????:confused:

I have two automotive scopes but my first electronics type scope was a Fluke 123 but it lacks cursors so you'd need the software if you want to closely examine something. The 124 has cursors.

I later got a Fluke 199B but there are some things that they didn't pass along to the 190 Series from the 120 Series. A log can be save to any memory location on the 123 but the 199B only two can be used. You can use REL/ZERO prior to logging which will narrows your range. That's not allowed on the 199B. The 199B has more triggering options, math functions, power functions, etc. then the 123 has. The power functions were added to the new 125.

Status
Not open for further replies.