Metric measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.

physis

I find it somewhat offensive that the measurements we use in America are treated as second class in the NEC.

It might be a small point but it seems the NFPA thought it significant enough to specifically parenthesize our American standards as subordinate to metric.

I see on the cover it says "National" Electrical Code (America free) and "International" Electrical Code Series.

I understand the international use issue. But shouldn't it be written for us (that's US) first?

I have a feeling it would be completely pointless, because I'm thinking it's purely political, (I know European and other nations write their code for us first) but,

______________________________________This is the question_____________________________________

how could someone go about submitting a proposal to address something like this that effects the entire NEC?

charlie

Re: Metric measurements

Well Sam, I totally disagree with you. I have felt like we should have gotten rid of the In./Lb. system years ago in the USA. OK, now I feel better. :D

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Many federal jobs are 100% metric from the design to the drawings and the billing(if per unit). I think that congress made the metric system the official measurement for the US in the late 1800s.
Don

physis

I know that most things congress ratifies are nearly secret as far as public knowledge is concerned.

So, we're secretly measuring are conduits in milimeters? :confused:

I have to differ at least with the notion that we are using the metric system in our day to day electrical lives. Well, I mean to a large degree for most of us.

I know that it is indeed used, but, I also know how much I don't use it.

Well, anyway, so if I send a proposal off to any old CMP, or regarding any old code section, then it would go to a, or the, TCC?

Edit: I had to add something.

[ April 23, 2005, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

charlie

No, you do not send any proposal to a particular panel. You indicate the section you want changed. In this case, it is the whole code so state that you want the whole code changed instead of a particular section. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.