MH Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.
I?d like opinions on what type of ballast should
be spec'ed for a typical new 400W MH area fixture.
Pulse?
Probe?
Electronic?

I?m looking for the best scenario over the long haul.
Ease/cost of getting replacement lamps,
Consistency in performance over life.
Overall lamp life.
Cost savings resulting from consistency/ not having to stock or order multiple lamp types.

Any backwards-compatible technology issues, base sizes or housing sizes.
Any reason to consider retrofitting 10 year old fixtures?

peter d

I'd reccomend pulse start - longer lamp life, better color stability, less power consumption, readily available lamps and ballasts. PS is common enough now for parts availability and compatibility issues to not even be a concern

Electronic ballasts for HID have been around for a while now, but they have not gained much popularity that I can notice. Although you may want to be the guinea pig for trying them out and let all of us know how they perform? ;)

Regarding a retrofit, the only way to answer this will be with a cost-benefit analysis (re: payback period.) There are many variables but the most important are the cost of labor and the cost of electricity, and who is paying the bill.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
peter d said:
Regarding a retrofit, the only way to answer this will be with a cost-benefit analysis (re: payback period.) There are many variables but the most important are the cost of labor and the cost of electricity, and who is paying the bill.
I'd also be intrested in what the fixture manufacturer recommended.

Does the same lamp work with pulse and probe ballasts?

Any comments on the vertical burn vs horizontal burn.?

I think a few years back there was a big cost difference for one or the other.

Now it looks like you can get lamps that burns in all orientations for the same price

I wish I had a comprehensive essay on everything that has changed in the last ten years with MH

johnny watt said:
Does the same lamp work with pulse and probe ballasts?

A. no they are not interchangeable at all the pulse start MH requrired a high voltage ingitor to start up the lamp and also the ballast operation is diffent also [ almost mirror imaged to probe started verison but the spec is far much tighter ]

Any comments on the vertical burn vs horizontal burn.?

A. not much differance it pretty much up to the manufacter designing the luminaire. most high/low bay luminiares are useally vertical base up type. [ watch out with open bottom luminaires ]

I think a few years back there was a big cost difference for one or the other.

it used to but now the price is pretty much close in now.
most go with pulse start for better useage.[ see below for more comment]

Now it looks like you can get lamps that burns in all orientations for the same price

yeah,, but keep in your mind the MH's are pretty senstive to the ordation of buring postion with the universal burning bulb at cenrten postion it will derate the lumines a little to some degree. ditto with burning life as well.

I wish I had a comprehensive essay on everything that has changed in the last ten years with MH

for the last few years they really improve the tech with the MH verison and also you will noticed that during start up and restrike time on pulse start is far much shorter than probe starting verison.

also i will give you a quick example of common run of mill probe and pulse start bulbs [ 400 w ]

probe start - typically 32000 lumines
pulse start - typically 38000-41000 lumines

the burning hours both about roughly the same but pulse start have somehow more longer life some case much as 30K hours but 20 K is pretty common.

probe start - start up typically 3-8 min to warm up to full brightness.

pulse start - start up typicaly 2-5 min to full brightness

but big diffrence is restrike time it heckva big differnce.

probe start typically anywhere from 10 to 40 min

pulse start typically 5 - 15 min

this is a basically a quick guideline between the two but if need more details let us know we can help you.

Merci, Marc

P.S. to the readers sorry i have to type in bold format in case it bother your eyes because i am answering to the OP question.

Status
Not open for further replies.