Mi to get 2023

Sberry

Occupation
farmer electrician
I happen to know some inspector types and get a chance to chat with them on occasion. I almost had to look, my code book is 2002 maybe. I keep up on a few things from forums and they mention any changes that might interest me. One I go to church with said we are getting the newest, they had a big to do about it but 2 main reasons,,, dope and PV and a couple other things I cant recall,,, but he says and I have never seen it but burning up resi 200 services due to overheating entrance conductors,,, I say really?
So they dont really do a load calc for these services, the insp follows the rules but the end users are simply adding lamps till the breaker screams and they are continuous they are burning up the wire. He says,, they blamed him for a couple and he says,,, these are sposed to be residential services, not 100% industrial,,, ha. I dont know anything about PV but evidently there is some confusion about all that and this is sposed to address that. My grapevine code learnin.
So,,, he was saying,, I am going to start making some demands for plan reviews, some wont like it but as he said,,, ok, there is a venue to challenge that if they want.

Your post is a little hard to follow, but sounds like these people dont know what they are talking about. 200A residential service conductors burning up? I highly doubt it. And PV will decrease the amps on conductors.

Even if someone was running a bunch of grow lights, you could run about 40 1000W HPS lights on a 200 amp service (although that isnt counting AC which you would need). So exactly what is the code path to try and idiot proof the installation of 50 grow lights? Do they think a code rule will change that in the slightest bit?

Sberry

Occupation
farmer electrician
I am not sure of all the details, all this was in a basic conversation. The PV wasnt about the conductors, the grow was. The head of the inspectors is a sharp guy, I have met him but dont know him well but I bet money "they know what they are talking about" I am not sure they really wanted the change but they are going to get it. This post wasnt intended to be totally factual, it was just general conversation with 2 inspectors.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I happen to know some inspector types and get a chance to chat with them on occasion. I almost had to look, my code book is 2002 maybe. I keep up on a few things from forums and they mention any changes that might interest me. One I go to church with said we are getting the newest, they had a big to do about it but 2 main reasons,,, dope and PV and a couple other things I cant recall,,, but he says and I have never seen it but burning up resi 200 services due to overheating entrance conductors,,, I say really?
If PV is correctly designed and installed it cannot burn up the service conductors. Even if it is installed on the line side of the main service disconnect, the maximum size of the system is limited by the ampacity of the service conductors. Unfortunately, I have run into a couple of inspectors who were so ignorant of electrical fundamentals that they could not be convinced that current cannot flow both directions at once in a conductor.