Microsoft Works!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benton

Has anyone ever used Microsoft Works to keep log of their business information? I did a tour through it and found that is a very handy program.....

tkb

MS Works is the redheaded stepchild of MS Office.

I prefer to use MS Office with Outlook, Word and Excel. The files are compatible with other businesses.

MS Works would be OK for the average person that does not interact with business.

Benton

MS Works is the redheaded stepchild of MS Office.

I prefer to use MS Office with Outlook, Word and Excel. The files are compatible with other businesses.

MS Works would be OK for the average person that does not interact with business.

When you say interact with business, do you mean emails and interacting between employees?

dhalleron

Occupation
Master Electrician/Senior Fire Alarm Technician
The company I worked for in 1996 used Works. When they got bought out in 2000 the new company used Office.

Works is the cheap version and can get the done job sometimes, but is not a standard at many companies and will make it hard to share files. If it?s only for you and you don?t plan to share files with other companies, it can do many of the things you will need it to do.

When I used Works for documents such as letters and such I always saved the files with the RTF extension. Word (the Office equivalent) would open those but not a wps document. I would have thought since bother were Microsoft that the more expensive program would be able to open the cheaper program's files. Maybe that's changed. I haven't used Works in 11 years.

USMC1302

TKB is right on this. I used Microsoft Works a lot, and it really has been overtaken by Office. Many times I would have to convert a file for someone else to open. The schools around here use a free version called Open Office, that is compatible with the Microsoft version.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Works was touted as a simpler and cheaper general purpose office package. i have used it. It works fine for simple tasks. In fact it is much easier to use for simple tasks than Office is.

The problem is that tasks that go beyond simple are often difficult to do in Works.

These days just about every kid learns office or something similar in school, so there is little reason for Works to even exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.