Microwave circuit AFCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

I'm not seeing anything in NEC 2014 & 2017 that requires a dedicated microwave circuit to be AFCI'd...?

Thanks for input!

jumper

Are the circuits in a residential kitchen? If yes, AFCI required.

210.12 Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection. Arcfault
circuit-interrupter protection shall be provided as required
in 210.12(A) (B), and (C). The arc-fault circuit interrupter
shall be installed in a readily accessible location.

(A) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single-phase, 15- and
20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets or devices installed
in dwelling unit kitchens, family rooms, dining
rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms,
sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, laundry areas,
or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by any of
the means described in 210.12(A)(1) through (6):

sw_ross

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for clarifying!
Sounds like that applies to micro and dish/disposal circuits.

Our state (NoDak) avoided some of the stricter AFCI rules of 2014 and now has adopted the 2017 in full, so I'm still getting used to all AFCI rules.

kwired

Electron manager
If receptacle is installed within "6 feet from the top inside edge of the bowl of the sink" (wording was changed here), it needs GFCI protection.

Doesn't say exactly how to measure that, but I think many are taking it to mean if you had a 6 foot cord plugged into the receptacle in question it must be GFCI protected if you can make the end of that cord reach the edge of the bowl of the sink in any way. Disposer won't require GFCI if "hardwired", if cord and plug - really depends on how you are allowed to measure that six feet. Dishwasher is required to be GFCI protected regardless of where it is located or how it is connected, maybe for the wrong reasons, but that is what is required.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thanks for clarifying!
Sounds like that applies to micro and dish/disposal circuits.

Our state (NoDak) avoided some of the stricter AFCI rules of 2014 and now has adopted the 2017 in full, so I'm still getting used to all AFCI rules.

Same here in NJ, AFCI protection not required for kitchens.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
If receptacle is installed within "6 feet from the top inside edge of the bowl of the sink" (wording was changed here), it needs GFCI protection.

Doesn't say exactly how to measure that, . . .

There is a new paragraph added, in the 2017 NEC, to 210.8 that applies to all of 210.8 where distance is measured:

2017 NEC
210.8. Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel.

. . .
For the purposes of this section, when determining distance from receptacles the distance shall be measured as the shortest path the cord of an appliance connected to the receptacle would follow without piercing a floor, wall, ceiling, or fixed barrier, or passing through a door, doorway, or window.

(A) Dwelling Units. . . .

A cabinet door is a "door".

As for the Dishwasher being GFCI'd, that requirement is in 210.8(D) and is required without regard to any distance measurement, so it must be GFCI'd.

A dwelling microwave, hanging above a range, supplied by a receptacle inside the cabinet above the microwave, a cabinet that has a door or doors, DOES NOT require a GFCI regardless of being within six feet of the sink.

This new sentence also means that a disposal, under an sink and in a cabinet with doors does not require a GFCI.

kwired

Electron manager
There is a new paragraph added, in the 2017 NEC, to 210.8 that applies to all of 210.8 where distance is measured:

A cabinet door is a "door".

As for the Dishwasher being GFCI'd, that requirement is in 210.8(D) and is required without regard to any distance measurement, so it must be GFCI'd.

A dwelling microwave, hanging above a range, supplied by a receptacle inside the cabinet above the microwave, a cabinet that has a door or doors, DOES NOT require a GFCI regardless of being within six feet of the sink.

This new sentence also means that a disposal, under an sink and in a cabinet with doors does not require a GFCI.
:slaphead:

I thought there was something like that added but didn't look very hard for it when I replied before. I think the discussions when 2014 was first being adopted is where there was too much interpretation going on about how to measure 6 feet. At least they did clear something up reasonably well this time.

sw_ross

Disposal/Dishwasher circuit

Disposal/Dishwasher circuit

Our state followed the 2014 on that rule (gfci dishwasher/non-gfci dishwasher)

I usually pull one circuit (20 amp) to feed them. To satisfy 2014 nec We had started installing a 2-gang box with a gfci Recep for dishwasher and a normal Recep (switched) for disposal.

Now with adoption of AFCI requirements I'll probably start using a dual purpose breaker and a single gang box with a half hot/half switched recep.

Any thoughts on that?

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
There is a new paragraph added, in the 2017 NEC.. This new sentence also means that a disposal, under an sink and in a cabinet with doors does not require a GFCI.
My State is also on the 2014 NEC, but our senior planner in my county, Orange Empire division, is instructing his inspectors to interpret 210.8 as clarified in the 2017 NEC.

kwired

Electron manager
Our state followed the 2014 on that rule (gfci dishwasher/non-gfci dishwasher)

I usually pull one circuit (20 amp) to feed them. To satisfy 2014 nec We had started installing a 2-gang box with a gfci Recep for dishwasher and a normal Recep (switched) for disposal.

Now with adoption of AFCI requirements I'll probably start using a dual purpose breaker and a single gang box with a half hot/half switched recep.

Any thoughts on that?

GFCI's need to be readily accessible and the problem with putting one under the sink is some don't consider that readily accessible.

Since AFCI is now required it is simplest and almost same cost to just put in a dual function breaker anyway.

sw_ross

GFCI's need to be readily accessible and the problem with putting one under the sink is some don't consider that readily accessible.

Since AFCI is now required it is simplest and almost same cost to just put in a dual function breaker anyway.

North Dakota made an exception to the readily accessible clause by allowing a gfci under the sink for the dishwasher.

Status
Not open for further replies.