Microwave outlet not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Hill

New User
Occupation
Engineer
Microwave oven works in any other outlet, but not the one it's plugged into. The outlet has been tested - all wires properly connected and reading 115 volts AC. Other devices work in this outlet. I even replaced the circuit breaker with no change in microwave performance. Any and all ideas are welcome.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
My guess is the receptacle is defective or the cord cap on the cord is only working when the cord is not bent a certain way.

Also if the neutral is not making a good connection then you can still read 120v but when the microwave tries to start the voltage usually will drop to 0V. I am guessing though that the lights won't display

OpenCircuit

Try replacing receptacle. See if the circuit is overloaded. You can measure the amp draw using clamp and plug-in line splitter. Try plugging in another appliance that draws similar amount of current.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am closing this thread in accordance with forum rules. This forum is intended for use by electricians and electrical contractors, inspectors, engineers, and vendors with their job-related duties. We are not allowed to provide how-to advice to persons who are not employed in this industry, or persons who do not perform electrical installation or maintenance as part of their jobs. Engineers are welcome to participate, but only if their questions do not involve attempts to perform their own electrical installation, troubleshooting, or maintenance work.

Status
Not open for further replies.