Migration to IEC61850

Status
Not open for further replies.

EsDorlion

Hi everyone,

I have almost 400 protection relays in my distribution and i don't have any scada system. All relays have modbus or courier communication protocol on RS485. I want to design a scada but i don't want to use any RTU or PLC. I found a device which is named Kalkitech SYCN2000.

http://kalkitech.com/offerings/sync-field_protocol_io_gateways/

This device converts the courier and modbus protocol to IEC61850. And also device has internally programmable I/Os.

I am going to use this device to take voltage, current and power values for scada. And i am going to use internally I/Os of this device to open and close function of circuit breakers. The main idea of using this device to adapt my old system to the new technology (IEC61850) and to get out of RTU or PLC.

I attached the shecmatic of my distribution center and the structure of SCADA. Can i take your comments about this subject.

3143.png

Is it a good way for old systems and old relays?
Can i use the benefits of IEC61850 with this structure?
Advantages and disadvantages of this system?
Or should i use an RTU or PLC?

jdsmith

I have a few questions for you:
- What type of communications infrastructure do you have between the locations where the 400 relays are located? Fiber? wireless? telephone line?
- Why do you want to use 61850? It is an OK protocol for some applications, but it is not simple to troubleshoot, not simple to configure, and is only the wave of the future for large organizations with a sufficiently large engineering and technician staff to be thoroughly familiar with it. If you do not have a 61850 network that the Modbus devices need to integrate with, there is no reason to convert to 61850 - convert to Modbus/TCP instead.
- What master device are all of these 400 relays going to communicate with? Presumably some sort of computer server, but running what software? It is simpler, cheaper, and easier to use modbus to ethernet protocol converters to talk to Kepware or another OPC server to get the data into your SCADA application.

Pay close attention to how the modbus devices are networked and what the data rates are. I have one substation with 8 devices talking on a 9600 baud modbus link and the SCADA system is very slow due to the large number of devices and the slow link. Modbus latency is easy to calculate, make sure you look at this in your network design.

With any PLC, RTU, or other device make sure you have good factory support. I use Schweitzer SEL-3530 devices, which are a modern hybrid of an RTU and a PLC in one. The 3530 is a flexible, quality product with a great company behind it. I would speculate that SEL will provide much more agressive product updates and support than many of the other RTU vendors out there, especially to a small customer. The SEL 3530 includes digital IO capability as well so you can use it to open and close breakers and read breaker status into the SCADA system. The modern approach to remotely operate breakers and get status is to wire that digital IO directly to the relay that protects the breaker instead of using a PLC or RTU with digital IO.

EsDorlion

I have 46 distribution centers in my Zone and each center has almost 10 relays. Totaly almost 400 relays. Each Distribution center has ethernet/FO switches and all of distribution centers connected with fiber optic cables.

Actually i dont have enough information about 61850 but i read a few article about it and it is said 61850 is an Distribution center protocol and easy to use. I am just looking for an alternative solution for RTU or PLC. But i know that any of my relays dont have an ethernet port and 61850. I searched from internet and i found a 61850 converter from Kalkitech Company. I just want to know that is it a good way to use a converter in this system or not? If it is work and if it is the same cost with RTU or PLC system,i think, i can choose and try converter system instead of RTU or PLC. At least maybe i can make a demo application for a few distribution centers.

In this system the master device will be a computer, Becuase the converters dont programmable except a few logical operations. The company has their own scada programs and i will use that sofwares.

Each converter will connect with maximum ten relays. Also this converters have internally DI/DO. I think i can make open and close function with these I/Os.

Thank you for your reply.

Best regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.