Mike Holt Letter to Editor in nec digest

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Did anyone see Mike Holts letter to the editor (1 of 2) in the current edition of nec digest? He was questioning an article by James Stallcup, where James used the term "Diversity". Mike wanted to know what it was, as its not a term thats used in the NEC. James replied its commonly used in calculations for electrical loads.
My question is:
Is diversity used for calculations for electrical loads? If so why is it not in the NEC?

hurk27

Re: Mike Holt Letter to Editor in nec digest

The word diversity shows up in the 2002 NEC 6 times mostly in FPN's but it is shown in this table:Table B.310.11 Adjustment Factors for More Than Three Current-Carrying Conductors in a Raceway or Cable with Load Diversity

And in 400.5 just before the table 400.5 is this FPN pointing to the above
FPN: See Annex B, Table B.310.11, for adjustment factors for more than three current-carrying conductors in a raceway or cable with load diversity.

[ December 19, 2004, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

With no disrespect to Mr. Stallcup, the reason that the Table that now appears as B.310.11 is in Annex B is because no one could agree on the meaning of diversity and this derating table is based on a diversity of 50%. The table that is now in the Annex was replaced by Table 310.15(B)(2)(a) in the main body of the code.
Don

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Take a look at my 11:10 AM post here.

I would prefer that the term "load diversity" be removed from the NEC, since there is no practical way to take advantage of it.

bilbo336

Load diversity is the difference between the sum of the peaks of two or more individual loads and the peak of the combined load. The diversity factor is defined as the ratio of the sum of the individual maximum demands of the various subdivisions of a system (or part of a system) to the maximum demand of the whole system (or the part of the system under consideration). It is equal to or greater than 1; it is 1 if all individual maximum demands occur simultaneously, or are coincident. For most loads it generally varies between 1.0 and 2.0. It should not be confused with Demand Factor which is the ratio of the maximum demand of a system to the total connect load on the system. This factor is always less than 1.

From a design point of view, multiplying the maximum demand on a system by the diversity factor could allow you to accurately predict the load on the main feeder to the system and to size the condutors appropriately. The rub is, of course, that you rarely know this information. As a design engineer I have only been able to use it in special design situations where I could get the information from time of day metering in existing facilities. In designing new facilities the best I usually can do is to use the Demand Factors in the tables in the NEC.

This is pretty lengthy and somewhat convoluted but I hope it helps to answer your question. While diversity factors are very useful to utilities and they have extensive tables based on experience to use in order to apply them, I agree that at our level we don't have much, if any, occasion to use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.