Miller 302 Trailblazer 10kw generator welder producing 260v

Occupation
general contractor
Im in the process of setting up my welder/generator to produce power to my well pump and small shop building to pump water during power outages. I have the transfer switch already installed and ready to roll but I have run into a problem. My generator is producing 260 volts when in run mode. This is has me concerned to run the well pump which states 230v with 10% plus or input levels. Has anyone had experience with this sort of issue. How to reduce the power output?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
It may be the generator needs a load to pull the voltage down.
Or it has a less expensive voltage regulator.
What does the manual say about adjustments?

IIRC most welder generators have a fairly high open-circuit voltage and a lot of drop under load. Since a welder is only concerned with the current the governor isn't interested in keeping the voltage steady.

That said, have you tried changing the current dial?

Occupation
general contractor
It may be the generator needs a load to pull the voltage down.
Or it has a less expensive voltage regulator.
What does the manual say about adjustments?
How can I test the voltage drop method without risking damage? I can find any adjustment in the manual accept for engine speeds which may help with voltage output if I get the rpm down a bit.

Occupation
general contractor
IIRC most welder generators have a fairly high open-circuit voltage and a lot of drop under load. Since a welder is only concerned with the current the governor isn't interested in keeping the voltage steady.

That said, have you tried changing the current dial?
Ok good information, Ive adjusted the current dial but it seems to only affect welding processes and not the generator