Milwaukee M12 wire stripper

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've got it, used it a bunch today. I was hesitant to get it, seemed silly and dumb. I think it's my favorite thing in the world . Quick, perfect, no knicks,. It has an adjustable depth stop so perfect every time.
We just started using them on big jobs because our safety director wanted to limit razor knife injuries. I agree that these are one of the best tools that I've ever used. Like a pencil sharpener for wire. We were terminating miles of 750 kcmil which required abut a 2.5" of insulation removal. This tool could strip that perfectly in 5 seconds. Perfect depth and never nicking the aluminum make this thing a winner not to mention the savings in labor.

My only complaint is that the cutters have a single hole that engages the pin the in tool. The aluminum body of the cutter allows that hole to become worn after about 200 strips and the cutter is then garbage and needs to be replaced. I ended up drilling several more holes in the cutter to extend it's life. One other caveat you'll need a set of cutters for each different insulation type and conductor material.

Milwaukee-Cable-Strippers01-650x488.jpg

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
don’t know how much nmb you use, have you tried the new power staplers works like a champ also.
Broke down and got one, now wouldn't do NM without one, love it. (And my fingers love it lol). Staples up NM in less than a quarter of the time. Ran out 2 runs of about 50 ft of NM I was using my power stapler and the other guy the bang your finger style, had mine done before the other guy could get 6 staples in.
The "roofing nailer" of the electrical field.

AFA the cable stripper just don't do it often enough to warrant the cost for it to mostly just sit in the truck. Lineman or if I was terminating hundreds of large connections a day maybe. So this is what ive been using:
1664106388207.png

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
My only complaint is that the cutters have a single hole that engages the pin the in tool. The aluminum body of the cutter allows that hole to become worn after about 200 strips and the cutter is then garbage and needs to be replaced. I ended up drilling several more holes in the cutter to extend it's life. One other caveat you'll need a set of cutters for each different insulation type and conductor material.
That’s my biggest gripe with the ones we have. Some here don’t understand the different insulation types.
We have several boxes for our M18 strippers. Al, & Cu strippers in thhn, a set for XLP insulation, etc… I think we have about 4 or 5 different boxes of different bushings..

That’s my biggest gripe with the ones we have. Some here don’t understand the different insulation types.
We have several boxes for our M18 strippers. Al, & Cu strippers in thhn, a set for XLP insulation, etc… I think we have about 4 or 5 different boxes of different bushings..
So there are more than two sets of dies? I have one set for CU, and one for compact AL..... Probably all I'll ever need.

Seems like a better design would have been a cutter with a dial with an adjustable depth.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
So there are more than two sets of dies? I have one set for CU, and one for compact AL..... Probably all I'll ever need.

Seems like a better design would have been a cutter with a dial with an adjustable depth.
Yep, more than 2. Bet you would like this one for sweetbriar

some more different tools:

im wondering if these bushings are interchangeable now…

Yep, more than 2. Bet you would like this one for sweetbriar

some more different tools:

Does the AL THHN/XHHW not work with USE/RHW? They're both compact conductors of course, I guess the insulation thickness is a little different? I bet you could find that one of the thhnxhhw dies is close enough no? I'll have to play with it see if I can find one that works on some Sweet briar and Pratt.

Status
Not open for further replies.