Min. Orders

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

So Vitalink has minimum order of 1000’ for 3/c cable but no minimum for 4/c. the 4/c cable for the same size is about $2 extra per foot. I if you only had 500 it would be cheaper to order the 4/c even with the additional material and labor cost but would it pose a problem having 4/c when you only need 3/c? Could you just cap/abandoned the extra unused conductor? Thanks.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The capped extra conductor should not be an issue. Ground one end if there's an induced-voltage concern.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
So Vitalink has minimum order of 1000’ for 3/c cable but no minimum for 4/c. the 4/c cable for the same size is about $2 extra per foot. I if you only had 500 it would be cheaper to order the 4/c even with the additional material and labor cost but would it pose a problem having 4/c when you only need 3/c? Could you just cap/abandoned the extra unused conductor? Thanks.

You might call the supplier to see if they would sell you 500' of the 3/c for the price of the 4/c. Personally I'd prefer to have the spare conductor for 'free' but I don't know how significant the other costs are for your job.

-Jon

MAC702

Sometimes I do it on purpose. If someone has me run a ceiling light with no fan, I might pull a 3-conductor cable from switch box to ceiling box just in case they change their mind later.

Todd0x1

Not sure which product you are looking for but the way around minimums from cable mfgrs is to have your supply house order through one of the master distributors such as Omnicable or Anixter. I have bought specific lengths of some pretty odd cables this way.

mstrlucky74

Not sure which product you are looking for but the way around minimums from cable mfgrs is to have your supply house order through one of the master distributors such as Omnicable or Anixter. I have bought specific lengths of some pretty odd cables this way.

ty!!

oldsparky52

Anixter has sold to me direct on type W cable. I was a 2 man show too.

Status
Not open for further replies.