Minimum burial depth for PVC

Status
Not open for further replies.

philly

What is the minimum burry depth for PVC conduit burried undergroud? I have seen a specification of 30" for a ductbank however this particular conduit will not be in a ductbank. Shoud there be at least 24" from grade to the PVC?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It can range from 0" under a slab to 30" depending on the circuit. You need to check 300.5

ericsherman37

In the 2008 NEC, 352.10(G) (PVC Conduit section) refers you back to Table 300.5 (minimum cover requirements, 600V and less). The burial depth of the pipe will depend on what's above it. Table 300.5 Column 3 should give you the answer for PVC.

PhaseShift

In the 2008 NEC, 352.10(G) (PVC Conduit section) refers you back to Table 300.5 (minimum cover requirements, 600V and less). The burial depth of the pipe will depend on what's above it. Table 300.5 Column 3 should give you the answer for PVC.

The area I will be burying the conduit is on a grassy area beside a parking lot. Because I do not see anything covering a "field" or "grassy area" I believe that I should use the first row in this table for "all locations no specified below" and therefore burry it at least 18" deep

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
field ? :)
don't do like one fellow did me. That 18" is from the top of the dirt, not the top of the field grass :D

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
A minor detail. It's 18" of cover, not 18" deep trench (I know you didn't say this).

Pool panel feeder, I go 20 inches to the top so there are no questions during inspection. Although getting a trench 2 inches deeper here is cake.

lifeskillshandholepool002.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.