Minimum conductor size needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Brennan

I was wondering if someone could help me out.
I have a contractor doing a 200 amp 120/240 volt single phase underground service approximately 650 ' and he ran 2 conductors (250 MCM Aluminum for the hots) and 1 3/0 Aluminum for the neutral (a total of 3 conductors) all in a 2 1/2" PVC conduit.
I think the wire size is to small for that long of a distance can anyone give me some input on what the proper minimum size conductor would be?
Thank you

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
John voltage drop is dependent on load. Generally a 200 amp service doesn't draw near 200 amps and mostly it is probably under 100 amps.

There are many online calculators so if you wanted a load of 200 amp you would have a 17 volt drop-- alot however you will probably never be that high.

Even at 100 amps there is an 8 volt drop (7%)

IMO, it is a bit small

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I was wondering if someone could help me out.
I have a contractor doing a 200 amp 120/240 volt single phase underground service approximately 650 ' and he ran 2 conductors (250 MCM Aluminum for the hots) and 1 3/0 Aluminum for the neutral (a total of 3 conductors) all in a 2 1/2" PVC conduit.
I think the wire size is to small for that long of a distance can anyone give me some input on what the proper minimum size conductor would be?
Thank you

I agree with the second poster that it seems a little small but it does not violate the NEC.

Most times a 200 Amp service won't see anywhere near 200 Amps so VD may never be an issue.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
John voltage drop is dependent on load. Generally a 200 amp service doesn't draw near 200 amps and mostly it is probably under 100 amps.

There are many online calculators so if you wanted a load of 200 amp you would have a 17 volt drop-- alot however you will probably never be that high.

Even at 100 amps there is an 8 volt drop (7%)

IMO, it is a bit small

Something about 8 volts and 7% doesn't seem right.

Status
Not open for further replies.