Minimum Number of Qualified Personnel

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirkids

Doesn't the 70E require there to be at least 2 qualified individuals in the same level of PPE within the limited approach boundary? I thought that was an established requirement but haven't been able to find the reference.

Thanks.

pfalcon

Doesn't the 70E require there to be at least 2 qualified individuals in the same level of PPE within the limited approach boundary? I thought that was an established requirement but haven't been able to find the reference.

Thanks.

I would be terribly surprised and disappointed if you ever found such a reference. The standard rule for a second man is he's supposed to stand outside the hazardous area, as much as space permits, and observe. He's there to start the rescue operation. It doesn't do any good if he's passing out in the same confined space you're in; nor if he's hanging from his own lanyard after the scaffolding collapses. He also has to be appropriately outfitted or equipped. If he's a true second man that means all the PPE of the guy(s) working on the job - maybe more.

Beyond that, the number of qualified individuals required is no more than that required to perform the work. That said, it's bad practice to work alone and isolated where no one knows how you're doing.

kirkids

Sorry I wasn't clearer... the center of my concern is not with regards to confined spaces but work performed on energized conductors where the hazard/risk assesment requires PPE, a barricade is established, etc. I've taken two of the NFPA 70E classes and there has been a passing comment of always having a buddy system where a minimum of two qualified individuals are required to perform the work and be in the save level of PPE as opposed to doing "Lone Energized" energized work where no one is able to provide assistance especially in the event of flash incident. 110.2 (C) presumes that there is at least one person that is trained in CPR that is able to render assistance to a second party. The "Emergency Procedures" training doesn't fall under the "Qualified Person" training which raises some questions for me. Would I really want to have someone that is trained in CPR but is not trained to be a Qualifed Person to render assistence after an electrical incident where there a continued hazard/risk assesment would be imperitive? This would be especially true in consideration of remote projects where perhaps only two persons were sent to perform some energized electrical function. Funtionally there seems to be a presumption that you would have at least two qualified persons available but I'm not finding that as a specific requirement.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The topic of your question really boils down to "good work practices," not to "code requirements."

zog

Sorry I wasn't clearer... the center of my concern is not with regards to confined spaces but work performed on energized conductors where the hazard/risk assesment requires PPE, a barricade is established, etc. I've taken two of the NFPA 70E classes and there has been a passing comment of always having a buddy system where a minimum of two qualified individuals are required to perform the work and be in the save level of PPE as opposed to doing "Lone Energized" energized work where no one is able to provide assistance especially in the event of flash incident. 110.2 (C) presumes that there is at least one person that is trained in CPR that is able to render assistance to a second party. The "Emergency Procedures" training doesn't fall under the "Qualified Person" training which raises some questions for me. Would I really want to have someone that is trained in CPR but is not trained to be a Qualifed Person to render assistence after an electrical incident where there a continued hazard/risk assesment would be imperitive? This would be especially true in consideration of remote projects where perhaps only two persons were sent to perform some energized electrical function. Funtionally there seems to be a presumption that you would have at least two qualified persons available but I'm not finding that as a specific requirement.

OSHA requires that emergency 1st aid and CPR must be available within 4 minutes.

70E States "Emergency Procedures. Employees responsible for taking action in case of emergency shall be trained in methods of release of victims from contact with exposed energized electrical conductors or circuit parts. Employees shall be regularly instructed in methods of first aid and emergency procedures, such as approved methods of resuscitation, if their duties warrant such training. Training of employees in approved methods of resuscitation, including cardiopulmonary resuscitation and automatic external
defibrillator (AED) use, shall be certified by the employer annually.

Outside of these requirements you will not find any requirement for a 2nd qualified person to be there for any LV work, but when you get >600V there are requirements for a 2nd person.

Status
Not open for further replies.