Minimum Panel Height

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie4now

We set a sub panel on a job for a client that had very specific ideas where he wanted it. It was a reasonably suitable space in the hall that would be behind a decorative door, the problem (or potential problem) was that it was only about 28" off the floor to the bottom of the panel. While not my 1st choice, I reviewed 110.26 and didn't see a problem from a code point of view. The inspector today said that while there isn't a minimum height for the panel, there is a minimum height for the breakers of 36" to the center of the handle. he referenced 240.24. However when I read 240.24 it does not give a minimum height, it states "Overcurrent devices shall be readily accessible unless one of the following applies:" I am looking at the 2002 NEC, did it perhaps change in 2005?

Also, I know there is a minimum working height exception for residential remodel, if there is in fact a minimum heigh can someone reference a code section so I can see if there is an exception.

Thanks

raider1

Staff member
There is no minimum height for a panel (Excluding a mobile home). 240.24 does not include a minimum heigh of 36".

Chris

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I agree with Chris. There's a maximum height, but no minimum.

Was there a problem with the installation, in the inspector's opinion?

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I agree that there is no such code. If there was a whole bunch of switchgear installed in this country needs to be changed.

480sparky

I agree that there is no such code. If there was a whole bunch of switchgear installed in this country needs to be changed.

Not really.

But the floor guys may need to lower the floor a foot or two!
emot105.gif

Davids1964

I once went into a house were the main panel was very low. Turns out the home owner was handicap. We will see alot more panels being low because of ADA laws. The main was also on the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.