Minimum service drop height.

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterinbama

I'm trying to get a good GC customer of mine to set an eyebolt for me on a change out he want's done next week. I am out of town and don't have access to my NEC. What it the minimum drop height over a residential driveway? We are trying to avoid setting a 2.5" mast through the roof if possible.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is the article-- depending on the length and where it is fed from , the point of attachment may need to be higher.

230.24(B) Vertical Clearance for Service-Drop Conductors. Service-drop conductors, where not in excess of 600 volts, nominal, shall have the following minimum clearance from final grade:
(1) 3.0 m (10 ft) — at the electrical service entrance to buildings, also at the lowest point of the drip loop of the building electrical entrance, and above areas or sidewalks accessible only to pedestrians, measured from final grade or other accessible surface only for service-drop cables supported on and cabled together with a grounded bare messenger where the voltage does not exceed 150 volts to ground
(2) 3.7 m (12 ft) — over residential property and driveways, and those commercial areas not subject to truck traffic where the voltage does not exceed 300 volts to ground
(3) 4.5 m (15 ft) — for those areas listed in the 3.7-m (12-ft) classification where the voltage exceeds 300 volts to ground
(4) 5.5 m (18 ft) — over public streets, alleys, roads, parking areas subject to truck traffic, driveways on other than residential property, and other land such as cultivated, grazing, forest, and orchard

Last edited:

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Is this wire under the NEC or the NESC jurisdiction? It could range from 15.5 ft to 10.5 ft under special conditions.

masterinbama

Is this wire under the NEC or the NESC jurisdiction? It could range from 15.5 ft to 10.5 ft under special conditions.

It is my responsibility to provide an attachment point on my end that will maintain code minimums. If the POCO chooses to do otherwise on their end it's their problem.

I just wasn't sure if the eye bolt near the peak of the roof would give me code clearance over the customers driveway. Being a small project to begin with the small errors become huge burdens on the bottom line.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You may have to use the scroll + and - , or ctrl + or - to see this enough.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ritelec

Thanks for posting that illustration Dennis......that was always a good one.

Question.........is there a pseg in your neck of the woods or did you grab it for reference?

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thanks Dennis. Please let us know how you cut and pasted this or send me a PM. Tnx.

BTW I have PSE&G, Orange & Rockland and JCP&L in my area. PSE&G is the only one that I know of that has this diagram published in their electric service handbook but as far as I know they all basically have the same height and clearance requirements.

ritelec

PSE&G is the only one that I know of that has this diagram published in their electric service handbook but as far as I know they all basically have the same height and clearance requirements.

Not sure of Orange/Rockland. JCPL has a cut sheet for their meter height requirements, drip loop heights....and a few clearances that are alittle different. AND there service hooks.............geez I hope the one I put in flies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Be sure your attachment point is lower than weather service head. I had to change one recently. I put attachment point on edge of roof of a mobile home because of angle the triplex was to come in. POCO wanted it there so triplex would not hit corner of trailer coming in. I used strut against overhang, lagged into studs, long eye bolt out from strut. Inspector made me put it on wall, below service head. I had gotten so engrossed in wire angles that I forgot about being below weather head.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
It is my responsibility to provide an attachment point on my end that will maintain code minimums. If the POCO chooses to do otherwise on their end it's their problem.

I just wasn't sure if the eye bolt near the peak of the roof would give me code clearance over the customers driveway. Being a small project to begin with the small errors become huge burdens on the bottom line.

Yea, If the POCO chooses to do otherwise, it could be your problem. That would be a good reason to find out from the POCO what they require. rather than what the NEC says. Here, Duke power says that the attachment point should be 16 ft. above a residential driveway.

"The location of all service drop attachments must be approved by Power Delivery before the
customer’s work begins.
A. The service drop attachment must be safely accessible and in direct line to the Company’s
service pole. Safely accessible is defined as accessible with an extension ladder placed on
firm level ground directly beneath the point of attachment and with a mounting height of
no greater than 24 feet. If these conditions cannot be met, contact Power Delivery for
assistance.
B. The service drop attachment must be located so that the service drop will not cross
adjoining property.
C. The service drop attachment must be located at a height to permit the following minimum
clearances (under conditions of maximum sag) at any point along the span of the service
drop conductors. These clearances apply to company-owned service drops meeting NESC
rule 230C3 (triplex, quadraplex, duplex, or parallel-lay conductors). For other companyowned
service conductors (open wire, bare wire) refer to NESC for appropriate
clearances:
1. 12 feet above finished grades, sidewalks, platforms, or projections from which the
conductor might be reached when the voltage is limited to 300 volts to ground
2. 16 feet above residential driveways when the voltage is limited to 300 volts
to ground
3. 16 feet above commercial areas, parking lots, public streets, alleys, roads, commercial
driveways, and areas subject to truck traffic or agricultural vehicles
D. The service drop conductors to a structure must have a horizontal clearance not less than
3 feet from all windows, doors, porches, fire escapes, or similar locations readily
accessible to pedestrians. All other clearance requirements of the National Electrical
Code, National Electrical Safety Code, and State and local requirements must be met.
E. The service drop attachment or service mast guying attachment device must not be
installed on a masonry chimney.
F. The minimum size service mast for attachment of a service drop is 2” rigid steel or 2”
Intermediate Metallic Conduit (IMC). Conduit couplings are not permitted above the
roofline. Couplings, if required, must be installed below the second conduit support from
the roofline."

And Southern Company wants 15 ft...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.