Minimum size circuit for 45kva xfmr

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul

Customer has a new machine that needs (1) 240V 3-phase 30A circuit and (1) 240v single phase 30A circuit. They have a 45kva 480-240-120LT delta highleg transformer with 5.53% impedance thst they want us to use. Boss is wanting to feed it from a 480V 3 phase, 30A and use tap rule to feed fusef disconnects before the equipment. I'm worried that the inrush will trip the breaker. What's the minimum size circuit and overcurrent protection I should use?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Boss is wanting to feed it from a 480V 3 phase, 30A and use tap rule to feed fusef disconnects before the equipment.
I hope that he is planning to use a transformer! :angel:
Seriously, inrush to the transformer might well be more significant that inrush or starting current to the motor.
Is the requirement for 240 single phase really a requirement for 120/240 single phase three wire? Are there any line to neutral loads on that circuit?

jumper

Why can't this transformer be protected at 70A as the primary protection.

This size is used in a few MH examples and it is 70A. Is the impedance a factor? If so, how do you calculate that in?

paul

I hope that he is planning to use a transformer! :angel:
Seriously, inrush to the transformer might well be more significant that inrush or starting current to the motor.
Is the requirement for 240 single phase really a requirement for 120/240 single phase three wire? Are there any line to neutral loads on that circuit?

That's what I am worried about, is the inrush starting up the transformer. Not the three phase loads.

After I brought this up to the powers that be, they did decide to install a panel. All is good now.

Status
Not open for further replies.