Minnesota Masters Exam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,
I am curious if the Boards of various States are obligated to standardize Master Electrician's Tests or their content. (Obviously the NEC)
As everyone here knows the amount of material to study is staggering. It's very interesting to read the posts and I like the example problems from this Website but I'm wondering if it is specific enough or should I stick to prep course study guides from Minnesota Electrical Association?
I have been told the test has changed drastically since I took my Journeyman's.
With a new Director of Licensing, a new test, and a different format, I don't know what to spend my time on.
Johnny Gooch

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Re: Minnesota Masters Exam

Johnny,

It's been a long time since I went for my Masters. That said, I chose to pretty much read the book cover to cover and take a local 16 hour Exam Prep course based on the MN test.

If this Forum had existed back then, my learning experience would have been much richer. The ability to ask questions and discuss points of the NEC with a diverse audience has helped me immensely. The language, the specific words, especially Article 100 and all of the XXX.2 definitions leads to a jargon rich way of talking about the meaning of the Code. I think it's kind of like learning a language. . .the only way you become fluent is to speak it. Participating here will aid in the fluency.

You've probably seen the new MN License Exam Prep Guide put out by the State Board? 36 pages of fun! ;)

Myself, I'd take a local Exam Prep Course (such as the MEA's or those offered by State Inspectors) as I'm starting to get close to the exam date.

Heh. . ."State Board". I guess I should say "Department of Labor and Industry Electrical Licensing and Inspection". . .DoLaIELaI. . .whatever.

Good Luck!

jeff43222

I took an MEA prep course before I took my master exam, and I found it to be largely a waste of time and money. The guy teaching the course was a former journeyman electrician who got an EE degree and had recently started working as an engineer. He knew next to nothing about the exam, which he took many years prior, and only went over a lot of basic stuff. My impression is that the course might be valuable to someone who had done no prep whatsoever and needed a last-minute cram session to have a chance at passing.

My method was to devour Mike Holt's Exam Prep book over the course of several months. It was pretty good preparation. I found it much more useful than the two-day MEA course, and it cost far less money.

If you don't pass it on your first try, at least you'll know how to prepare for your second try, as the content of the exam shouldn't be much different, although the specific questions will be. I failed my first try by one question :D

[ September 29, 2005, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: jeff43222 ]

Thanks for the information,
A previous employer has offered to lend me his copy of Mike Holt's 2002 prep class on VHS format. I will try to get it this weekend and start studying.
I took a MEA prep class for my required continuing education so I will keep working on their material as well. Some of it is a direct copy of the examples the State gives on their Website. It only cost $523.00 for a 16 hour power point presentation, but then that included donuts!
Johnny

Status
Not open for further replies.