Mismatch between Theoretical and Actual load calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timona

Occupation
Graduate Electrical Design Engineer
NOTE: In my question, when I say receptacles, I mean normal household receptacles. I am am intentionally omitting loads for special appliance receptacles because I think they are not needed in my question.

Suppose I am trying to calculate the load of 100 sq foot dwelling. I use 3 VA/ ft as deemed by NEC for a total of 300VA.

1. From my little understanding, this means that both my receptacle and lighting loads are included and should I add them both manually, they should be less than or equal to 300VA, right? Basically, my theoretical load of 300VA should match my manually load, right?

2. Now, NEC calls for 12 ft separation between 2 receptacles along a wall. Being that I have 100 sq ft dwelling, I am bound to put atleast 2 - 180VA receptacles in this space so as to comply with this rule. These 2 alone will give me a manual total of 360VA, which is above my theoretical 300VA. Remember, I am yet to add the VA for the lights.

Number 2 above is where I get confused. Or am I not understating this altogether?

Status
Not open for further replies.