Mistakenly hooked a 230v motor to 120v source

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrancisDoody

I ran the dual voltage motor for less than 30 seconds on the 120v power source. Before realizing that I had made a mistake. This was a brand new motor with a 115 volt plug factory wired to 230 volts. Strange setup. Certainly fooled me till I heard it run. Now with the proper voltage the motor sounds like a grinder and it will not operate anywhere close to 1750 rpms. Could this damage have occured from the 120 volt hookup? Can it be repaired?
Thanks,
Fran

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: Mistakenly hooked a 230v motor to 120v source

Sounds like it never worked, right out of the box. That's weird. Oh, well, that's why they make warrantee's. :p

hardworkingstiff

I wouldn't think running this motor on low voltage for 30 seconds would not (edited) damage it. If what you say is correct (factory wired at 230 w/120 volt plug) then I would wonder if it came back from someone else with a problem.

Is it working now at the correct voltage?

[ June 19, 2005, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: hardworkingstiff ]

jimwalker

If something comes with a plug attached for 120 volts then my job stops there.It was up to the factory to wire it correctly.Now if it was a hard wire then it's up to the EC to check it.

FrancisDoody

You know, that was my thought to. If it is wired with a 120 volt plug then it should run on 120v. It was not till I plugged it in and heard it running that I noticed this sticker the size of a quarter on the top that said it was factory wired to 230v. (If you buy an air conditioner that is wired for 230v then the plug will be a tandam plug) I just can't figure out what would cause the grinding noise. A standard electric motor should not have any parts that touch the armature such as brushes that could have melted or be destoried in such a short time, I don't believe? and

mdshunk

I agree that this was obviously a bad motor right out of the box and it was never hooked to 230V. ;)

H.L.

If the motor was wired for low voltage and you brought high voltage to it that would obviously be a problem. It is not the first time that a new item was bad out of the box.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

A grinding noise sounds more like bad bearings or gears, or maybe a bent shaft.

Steve

jimwalker

Any way you look at this the mistake was either the mfg.or the store you bought it from.If it has 120 plug and was wired for 240 they screwed up.If it was wired for 120 it should have ran.Take it back to them its not your problem

Status
Not open for further replies.