Mixing track lighting system components

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am assisting a retail store with some track lighting system issues. The 120v systems have been installed with individual single tracks using components from two different manufacturers, A and B. Manufacturer B advertises that their track is ?compatible? with manufacturer A?s track. Manufacturer A says they don?t stand behind their product being in mixed use with another manufacturer?s product. I have checked and there is no listing for their mixed use. I note that a number of other manufacturers say their components are ?compatible? with manufacturer A?s track. Is mixing of the components allowed per the NEC? It seems to me that it would be a violation, if nothing other than 110.3(B).

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Let's start by getting some key points of the forum rules out of the way.

No information gathered from this web site shall be treated as being the opinion of an 'expert witness, and you do not have anyone's permission to present such information as evidence in any type of legal dispute.

It should be noted that any comments made in this forum are personal opinions and represent personal responses as requested. Any opinion must not be considered as a Formal Interpretation of the NEC? and is not to be considered as an official position of Mike Holt, Mike Holt Enterprises, Inc., the NFPA, the NEC? Technical Correlating Committee, any of its Code Making Panels, or any other company or organization.

You have pretty much summed it up with it being listing issues and 110.3(B)

Roger

Thanks Roger, there is no legal dispute in this matter. Just trying to make sure I'm not missing something unique about track lighting. It seems a bit odd that manufacturers would indicate that their components are compatible with another manufacturers if mixing them is a code violation.

Status
Not open for further replies.